What's new

email address for student discount still mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

I have taken advantage of Apple discount. Ordered over the phone and they didn't once ask for ID or proof of anything. Their decision.

If they had of required the proof I would have provided it.

The calculated marketing talk is nonsense. The student discount is a way of attracting students whom may have otherwise purchased a more affordable Dell system etc. Companies know the discount doesn't come back to them in years gone by, it's purely a sale that could have been lost if discount were not offered.

On topic - I don't believe Microsoft will sell a product with student discount without confirmation. This assumes telephone sales ask for proof before confirmation.

Well, the "calculated marketing talk" isn't nonsense, unless you believe that Apple (in particular) doesn't engage in calculated marketing. As a marketing professional with 25 years of experience in the field, I'll testify that they do. They're one of the most serious marketing companies in the world...

And, yes, on topic: Microsoft absolutely will sell a product with student discount without confirmation. Again, online, they don't ask for confirmation at all--just enter your school, go to the .edu site, and place your order. In-store, I've made a number of purchases for my wife using her student discount, and have never once provided confirmation. Just bought a Lumia 830 this week, in fact, in just this scenario.

OP
S

Saul

@wynand32 if you have a few more mins see my amended post:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...ount-still-mandatory.13874/page-2#post-110799

Thank-you.

You can believe what you want, but that doesn't change the law....

That's MS legalise, they're doing the right thing by the law with that legalise, but IMO they have 0 real intention to enforce anything*, just dotting their I's & crossing their T's.

Anyway 4am here, bed time now, I have my answer, thanks all for the input, think I'll unsub. now...

Thanks especially to @jnjroach & all who rethought the approach to this thread, I very nearly walked away forever with a sour taste in my mouth about the 'community' here.

*because they have diff. underlying motivations

Last edited:

wynand32

What's that, you mean war veterans? What do you mean not as broad, you mean the % disc isn't as high? Don't think they have a veterans discount for Oz, shame really.

All I meant was that the educational discount seems to apply to everything, while the veteran's discount seems to only apply to certain items. I could be wrong, though, haven't really studied it.

AllTaken

Well, the "calculated marketing talk" isn't nonsense, unless you believe that Apple (in particular) doesn't engage in calculated marketing. As a marketing professional with 25 years of experience in the field, I'll testify that they do. They're one of the most serious marketing companies in the world...

And, yes, on topic: Microsoft absolutely will sell a product with student discount without confirmation. Again, online, they don't ask for confirmation at all--just enter your school, go to the .edu site, and place your order. In-store, I've made a number of purchases for my wife using her student discount, and have never once provided confirmation. Just bought a Lumia 830 this week, in fact, in just this scenario.

I have no reason to doubt you're a marketing professional with 25 years of experience, nor that a company with $150 Billion in 'the bank' does not make heavy use of marketing.

I was simply saying that not everything is carefully calculated as a marketing move. Student discount at its most in depth is a clever way of attracting a typically poorer demographic, at its most basic, more sales.

As a Marketing Professional you must realize that there is no evidence to suggest that a student goes on to buy products from Apple in the years following, anymore than the majority of customers. It's the experience that wins customers and a 15% discount to a student wins a sale and perhaps, a good feeling. Customers are not naive, if a better product comes along they switch, cheaper - they switch. etc etc etc (The majority that is).

Apple along with other tech giants and indeed other sectors of retail offer student discounts to gain sales, a two pronged attitude of gaining repeat custom in year X is a novel idea but it's not one that has proved true.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
@wynand32 if you have a few more mins see my amended post:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...ount-still-mandatory.13874/page-2#post-110799

Thank-you.

That's MS legalise, they're doing the right thing by the law with that legalise, but IMO they have 0 real intention to enforce anything*, just dotting their I's & crossing their T's.

Anyway 4am here, bed time now, I have my answer, thanks all for the input, think I'll unsub. now...

Thanks especially to @jnjroach & all who rethought the approach to this thread, I very nearly walked away forever with a sour taste in my mouth about the 'community' here.

*because they have diff. underlying motivations

They are not doing right by the law. There is no law requiring them to verify a students claim that they are a student. They would only be doing right by the law with those statements if they DO check claims and claim money back if the claim is found invalid. They have had to dot their I's and cross their T's because they have an intention of doing these checks.

VickiFL

I feel kinda cheated. We home school our daughter, but received no discount from Microsoft, on anything we have purchased. We have purchased a lot of stuff too!

Barnes and Noble will not give us an educational discount either. I guess it's like they are saying, "screw you home school people." :confused:

kundas1

closing this thread now as this isn't going anywhere constructive nor are we advocating fraud for the peeps of this forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.