What's new

Email app notification not working and USB DVD drive

Anyone else notifications not working for the Email app? It's turned on. Facebook notifications work but not email.

Also anyone know a USB DVD/Blu-Ray drive that works off the single USB port on the SP3?

guymalloc

Anyone else notifications not working for the Email app? It's turned on. Facebook notifications work but not email.

Also anyone know a USB DVD/Blu-Ray drive that works off the single USB port on the SP3?
I purchased a Samsung SE-218CB/RSBS external usb DVD burner on EBAY, it works great with a single usb cable, and it has AV mode so you can use it with Android, or plug it into some TV's and play multimedia dvd's. Came with Nero Express, works like a charm....

ctitanic

I purchased a Samsung SE-218CB/RSBS external usb DVD burner on EBAY, it works great with a single usb cable, and it has AV mode so you can use it with Android, or plug it into some TV's and play multimedia dvd's. Came with Nero Express, works like a charm....
was this actually tested in a Surface Pro 3?

I ask because the Surface PRO 3 USB does not have enough amperage to power an external DVD (even a reader). Your only chance to get one to work is if the DVD drive has its own power supply.

Do not waste your money on this one. It will not work in a Surface Pro 3.

DanL

Frank, I've been able to used that same Samsung SE-218CB/RSBS with my SP3, but only with the power cable plugged in. It won't work on battery power. I used it to install a Fujitsu portable scanner I occasionally use at work.

ctitanic

Frank, I've been able to used that same Samsung SE-218CB/RSBS with my SP3, but only with the power cable plugged in. It won't work on battery power. I used it to install a Fujitsu portable scanner I occasionally use at work.
Have you been able to burn a DVD on it?!

DanL

Please, let me know if it works. It would be the first one that I know of it.

Looks like this has already been confirmed. Here is another members solution:

Actually the one I pointed out, is the one I own and it reads and writes. Only problem is that it doesn't work with the usb cable alone, but I have a y usb cable from an older drive and when you plug one cable into the usb charger port and the other into the sp3, it works fine, I found that solution from the thread pointed out above. I just tested it and have burned a disk full of music and photos and it worked fine.

Thanks ipaq, good idea using the charging block.