What's new

Email Client

erandhawa

I was using Outlook 2013 as my primary email client and after several attempts at getting it to work with my Gmail settings (I purchased Gsyncit) I gave up due to outlook using too much system resources and making my surface fan turn on with basic tasks like downloading emails. I started to use em client which works well but I was wondering if there are any other clients people recommend to be used specifically on the Surface 3.

abc

Sorry. I have no idea what the difference is. what is the advantage of an email client over web based email?

fonzman78

I posted a reply to a similar question on another thread about Google Calendar. I had the same exact situation about wanting to use Outlook instead of Gmail. I am a heavy Outlook user. I switched jobs a few months back and my new company uses Gmail. I tried liking/using the web based mail and calendar but it was a waste. I tried using IMAP/POP3 in Outlook to work with Gmail but it was a bust.

I did some searching and found this - Google App Sync for Microsoft Outlook , https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync . This will easily let you use Outlook with your Gmail account. I'm using it now and it works great. I have it installed on my SP3 i5, my SP3 i7, and my desktop. It keeps all mail and calendars in sync across all devices. It also lets me use my Note 4 and keeps it in sync with Gmail. It the best thing I've found to keep using Outlook with Gmail.

r0b123

Sorry. I have no idea what the difference is. what is the advantage of an email client over web based email?

The advantage is when you're not able to get online, you can view your old emails and create new drafts. Once you're able to connect, you can sync/check for new emails but also send your drafts. Also, without having to login using your email and password, its saved in the client.

OP
E

erandhawa

Thanks for everyones input. I wish outlook worked with google calendar without the gsyncit add on. I really feel outlook was draining my battery I might give it another try. I like em client but the layout of outlook is very nice.

ynohtna

you could always subscribe to your google calendars in outlook (outlook.com online). That would keep outlook calendar in sync with google calendar. It's what I tried and it works good so that the metro calendar app has everything I need.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
you could always subscribe to your google calendars in outlook (outlook.com online). That would keep outlook calendar in sync with google calendar. It's what I tried and it works good so that the metro calendar app has everything I need.
I have seen a few other people here doing that as well reporting good results.