What's new

Email on Surface Pro 3

Alan Bowen

Hello,

I am wondering what you guys do for email? If you're a frequent tablet-mode user, do you use the same email client/web client as you do in laptop mode? I find the Windows 10 built-in email client a little basic for my needs but it seems to work best in tablet-mode. Some of the desktop clients have touch mode (Outlook & emClient) and others don't take advantage of the touch interface at all (Thunderbird, Postbox). Thanks.

Chuck_IV

I use Outlook 2013 no matter what mode I am in. I am not a fan of the built in client, at all.

There's a program called Touch Mail on the store that gets high marks, but while it's interface is good, it's support of protocols is not. It doesn't support exchange or even POP3 if I remember right. It's pretty much only IMAP. So if you use IMAP, check it out.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use Outlook 2016....I use the Win 10 Mail Client when I'll be on battery for long periods of time....

OP
A

Alan Bowen

Thanks for the replies. You know, I've just tried the built-in Windows Mail client again and it has a lot more features since I last checked. It's still a little basic but the linked inboxes & favorite folders all in the same account/folder list might be enough for me and it seems like it'll work really well in tablet mode for me. The Windows Calendar always met my needs. I have a variety of accounts for several different jobs/clients (some Google, some Microsoft, some imap, some caldav) and I can get them all configured in the standard Windows Mail/Calendar (save the caldav option but I've just learned that's migrating to Google). I struggled with these calendar types in Outlook.

kristalsoldier

I use Outlook 2016....I use the Win 10 Mail Client when I'll be on battery for long periods of time....

You have referred to this in the past and I have always wondered:

How do you sync your workflow between Outlook 2016 and the W10 Mail Client? Does this mean that you are getting ALL your mails in two clients simultaneously and you check each client depending on which mode you are then working in (desktop/ tablet)?

If yes, does this mean that your SSD has to make space for two sets of identical mails (Outlook still has that pst files etc. doesn't it?)?

Also, I am assuming that even if, say, you are in Tablet mode and are using the W10 Mail client, and you receive a mail in Outlook (from an account that only interacts with Outlook), you are alerted to the new mail in Outlook even though you are in Tablet mode.

Thanks in advance!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You have referred to this in the past and I have always wondered:

How do you sync your workflow between Outlook 2016 and the W10 Mail Client? Does this mean that you are getting ALL your mails in two clients simultaneously and you check each client depending on which mode you are then working in (desktop/ tablet)?

If yes, does this mean that your SSD has to make space for two sets of identical mails (Outlook still has that pst files etc. doesn't it?)?

Also, I am assuming that even if, say, you are in Tablet mode and are using the W10 Mail client, and you receive a mail in Outlook (from an account that only interacts with Outlook), you are alerted to the new mail in Outlook even though you are in Tablet mode.

Thanks in advance!
all of my email accounts are Exchange or IMAP so the all sync across clients and devices. Outlook is closed when I'm using the mail client and I only download 3 days of messages in the Win 10 mail client.