What's new

Embarassing

Secutor

Today, for the second time in one week, my SP3 refused to wake-up after being in hibernation. My client wasn't overly impressed as I struggled with my SP3.

I simply don't have time to check for possible explanations, I just want the damn machine to work! When will we have fool-proof computer technology at our hands?

OP
Secutor

Secutor

Yes, I know

I have calmed down already and I will investigate the problems with resuming from hibernation.

However, the question about 100% reliable technology is an interesting one nevertheless. For me, that should be the first priority of any AI being implemented in any serious manner.

Let the machines monitor the health of their own systems (as they do already) and make sure that they can recover themselves from any possible error they might encounter. I don't want to make the job that the machine should be able to figure out by itself!

bluegrass

Please don't make computer technology a 100% reliable or I will be out of a job. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over that possibility as long as there are humans running them.

samurai

Today, for the second time in one week, my SP3 refused to wake-up after being in hibernation. My client wasn't overly impressed as I struggled with my SP3.

I simply don't have time to check for possible explanations, I just want the damn machine to work! When will we have fool-proof computer technology at our hands?

I can feel you. It happened to me too. I wanted to to show off to my boss how cool this device is and it didn't turned on. I had to do Power+vol button trick. And guess what my boss is hardcore Apple fan. I guess I don't need to explain what happened next.

Previously with SP2 I wanted to take notes on onenote during a demo. It wouldn't work. Again Power+Volume button reset. Needless to say I was given pen and paper to write meanwhile. This was most embarrassing.

Despite the annoying issues I root for Surface for its versatility. May be one day Microsoft will have a fix for these issues.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel your pain. I don't have clients to keep happy, just myself, and that means having functions when I need them. With me I seem to have a recurring issue of having to attach and reattach keyboard multiple times to get it to work. Sometimes ill attach and get no backlight, nothing, others I will connect and get backlight, but no system recognition and the device just throws up the onscreen keyboard. And like yourself, I've also had some issues with hibernation. It didn't take long to work around (work around, not fix) and like with every computer I've owned, in that situation I just hold the power button and force a hard shut down.

Microsoft are definitely getting to the point of having a fantastic device in their line up, but they've still a hell of a long way to go yet.

Liam2349

I've never had any waking issues with SP3, but I did occasionally have waking issues with SP2 where the fan would spin at max and the device would turn off.

Lobo

Actually, the SP3 is my FIRST Windows device to wake up from sleep more than 3 times in a row. Heck, I keep all my desktops running 24/7 'cause I couldn't be bothered with all the wake issues.

As for the boss, I imagine his grin. My Macs sleep and wake perfectly all year round, restarts are for updates only. Gotta give it to Apple, they totally nailed that down.

So if you can live without a touch display and possibly even Windows, a MacBook is a great reliable choice.

Unfortunately, Apple has decided not to offer anything that fits my usage pattern, so here I am and deal with the quirks. ;)

qwertyy

I'm too scared to put my SP3 to sleep while it's in a pouch because my earlier laptop woke up while it was in the pouch and the fan kept running! Thank god it didn't cause a fire.. but it was hot as hell. The only device that had a reliable sleep mode was my Macbook pro. It's just something I can completely rely on.

grumpy

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about waking from hibernation, just shut it down. My Pro 3 takes all of 7 seconds to boot from off, who doesn't have 7 seconds?

I never shut down. All my application remain loaded and I can immediately pick up where I left off.