What's new

Emulating Mac OS x in vmware

nilsk123

Has anyone succesfully gotten mac os x to run in full screen in vmware? It runs fine, but i cant set it to the non standard resolution of 2160 by 1440, so i have black barts on both sides.

Also its scaled to be reaaaaaally really small. It's workable but hmm.

Has anyone fixed these issues?

ctitanic

One of the reasons why some prefer MacOS is, according to them, that it's more stable than Windows. So. Why one would want to run a more stable system from one that according to them, it's not so stable? ;) is not the end result unstable? o_O

OP
N

nilsk123

One of the reasons why some prefer MacOS is, according to them, that it's more stable than Windows. So. Why one would want to run a more stable system from one that according to them, it's not so stable? ;) is not the end result unstable? o_O

I have my reasons to want to run mac os x occasionaly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe the license indicates it will only work on pure Apple Juice... nothing filtered or watered :D

Lobo

Yep, OS X will only run on VMware Fusion – on the Mac. VMware Workstation won't run it by default, unless you install a hack, which might be the reason you got through the installation routine at all. For some reason VMware feels a strong calling to heed Apple's license, so they limit it intentionally.

Of course, OS X expects only to find specific Hardware, limited by the variations of Mac models.

You might have to fiddle around with the virtual monitor adapter or install proper kexts. I tried the same with OS X Lion back in the day and all I remember is that it was a pretty sluggish experience, so I didn't pursue it much further.

If your PC isn't totally out of the ordinary, you might just want to try installing it on a separate partition and run it kind of like Bootcamp backwards. I did that for quite a while and it ran nicely.