What's new

Erratic Cursor

Atkron

Have not been able to find a "clean" solution to the jumping cursor problem on SP4. Can someone point me to the one good solution? Short of abandoning this device an moving back to my Apple.

Mike C.

awwshoot

What is this "Jumping cursor" problem you speak of? I have not had any Cursor issues on our 21 tablets except for 2.

1. Failing pen tip

2. Someone tries to calibrate the pen and screen (Fixed by resetting calibration)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this the mouse cursor? Or the on-screen cursor when using the pen? More information would be helpful.

Bry

I just started experiencing this today when using my Typecover. I checked different areas on the mousepad to see if it's in one location but it's not isolated to one area. Plus it's temperamental. One moment it'll work fine, then all of a sudden it'll jump around like it's on drugs.

BubbaUK

I get this this on my S Pro 3 and it's a nuisance, making the device unusable on occasions. I've never got to the bottom of it, but try this to see if it stops the problem:

Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > HID-Compliant touch screen, right-click and select "Disable Device" (you can re-enable it later, of course).

This disables the touch screen for finger input, though you can still use the pen. Does the jumping stop?

I usually leave the device disabled, but sometimes it works fine if enabled, but inevitably the erratic jumping cursor comes back. No amount of recalibration etc. has fixed it. It doesn't seem to be related to to keyboard. Some people have suggested it's due to magnetic interference, and moving the device location cures it, but I've not found that to be the case.

Let me know how you get on.

sueparler

Similar question...

I work in a school with 270 new SP4 Tablets. Three (so far) units are responding to touches that aren't there. I have cleaned the screens, uninstalled and re-installed the touch drivers, uninstalled the HID devices and re-installed, updated firmware, calibrated the screens, and all three units are fully updated in terms of the Windows software.

I've attached an image (it was part of a video) that shows me attempting to disable the HID touch devices so the student can still use the Tablet as a laptop. It took me five minutes to do so because the touchscreen is responding to literally 100s of touches per minute.

So the question is, what's next? Is there a possibility it's a software issue or shall I take it to my local MS store and have them do a hardware swap? All units are still under warranty.

Attachments

• SP4Touch.jpg
    SP4Touch.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 958