What's new

Error 80240020

Buck Spunni

Update history shows 17 failed instances of Microsoft attempting to upgrade my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. Error code 80240020 is given as the reason, but there is nothing listed for this error code at the Microsoft knowledge base. I do not want to upgrade yet - not until they sort out the bugs. Anybody know how I can stop these attempts? They are making my Surface buggy while they are going on. I jumped ship from iOS because of stuff like this!

Johnny365

Side note: on iOS with jailbreak, I never got any update notifications (without any modifications either). To each his own.

OP
B

Buck Spunni

...? You jumped ship from a scaled down, mobile OS to a full blown desktop OS -- doesn't make sense.

There plenty of info about that error on Google: Error 80240020

Ditched my iPad for a Surface Pro 3. Tell me again why that doesn't make sense?

After I posted here I did a search & found all kinds of info. I thought I'd ask here first to see if there was anything specific to SP3 and get something into the search engine for anyone coming after me.

benjitek

Ditched my iPad for a Surface Pro 3. Tell me again why that doesn't make sense?
The statement would make sense if you ditched your MacBook for a Surface Pro 3, or your iPad for a Surface RT -- different device category. Don't know anyone who uses an iPad as their primary computing device.

OP
B

Buck Spunni

The statement would make sense if you ditched your MacBook for a Surface Pro 3, or your iPad for a Surface RT -- different device category. Don't know anyone who uses an iPad as their primary computing device.

IPad was my primary (only) mobile device....don't own a laptop. Kinda hard to ditch something I never had.

benjitek

Must've been hard to get much done with just an iPad -- the RT would've been better even. No wonder you switched. At least you a 'real' device now ;-)

OP
B

Buck Spunni

I have a desktop for heavy lifting but it looked silly carrying it around ;) Maybe I'm in the minority here but I wanted a replacement tablet that had the bonus that it could function as a laptop/desktop, not the other way around. The form-factor was the key, not the computing power.... that and it didn't have a half-eaten fruit on the back.

OP
B

Buck Spunni

But we digress....

Search provides the following instruction:

'What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.'

I just did step #1. I'll download the package when I'm ready...when general consensus appears that the initial bugs have been addressed . Big Brother may still download it while I'm not looking, but if he does I shall have to have him spanked.

wynand32

Incidentally, I know people who use an iPad as their primary/only machine, and it works for them. Of course, this all depends on what someone uses a computer for. Today, with an excellent version of Office available for the iPad, even moderately complex work can be done on an iPad (or an Android tablet, for that matter). Unless someone's in a field that creates highly complex document or conducts complicated analysis, they can probably get away with using Office Mobile, a Web browser, and a few other productivity apps. Let's not forget that there are many, many good apps available for iPads.

This isn't to defend the iPad, per se. I just get bothered when people define for other people what a piece of technology can do. And it's also kind of silly to argue that iPad > SP3 isn't a viable upgrade, when the SP3 is intended to serve as a tablet _along with_ serving as a notebook. The way Microsoft themselves have positioned it is that an SP3 is an upgrade from _both_ an iPad and a MacBook, together.