What's new

Everyone needs to get the SP4 touch cover

pandathumb

I know there have been positive reviews posted before, but honestly I never would have guessed how much better the new keyboard is in every way. It's stiff, the tactile feel of the keys is amazing, touch pad is as good as most laptops, and it just looks and feels fantastic. This, along with the tweaks I've just done to improve the battery life, have made it seem like a whole new device and will keep me from being tempted to upgrade for a long time. If anyone is on the fence, spend the $130 and don't think twice. Once you snap it on I guarantee you won't regret the purchase.

gary

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting your comments, @pandathumb . The Surface Pro 4 Touch Cover with fingerprint reader is what I use on my Surface Pro 3. Having a complete keyboard has improved my Surface experience, too. I own a Surface Book as well, and wish the Type Cover 4 was compatible. It would make a nice lightweight alternative companion for the Clipboard (screen).

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep love my upgrade to SP4 type cover. Also love the pen upgrade too, definitely makes my SP3 feel like a new machine.

dstrauss

Would second (third, fourth) everything here - BUT - splurge and get the fingerprint reader version - it is AWESOME - works every time (I think I've had to touch it twice I think one or two times. otherwise it is nearly as fast as my iPhone 6s Plus, and makes it a joy to password protect my SP3. Now, if they enable password support for website logins (rumored Q2 2016) it will be every bit as useful as the iPhone.

Adding the TC4, version 4 dock, and version 4 pen has made my SP3 (i7/8gb/512gb) an entirely new device - the love affair has been rekindled.

PS - I love Sharp's idea of a TC4 for the SB Clipboard - despite my utter contempt for the SB (complete strikeout for me - 3 tries, 3 failures).

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont' think the fingerprint version is available in the UK. I didnt' see it on the MS store. Probably doesnt' work in this territory. :(

Red-Oak

Dont' think the fingerprint version is available in the UK. I didnt' see it on the MS store. Probably doesnt' work in this territory. :(

Just out of curiosity, and slightly OT - why would it not work in your area, or any area - fingerprints are fingerprints aren't they?
Localized drivers?

As mentioned above, very happy with Pro 3 - BUT - were I get another one, I'd go with the i7 model inststead of the i5.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, and slightly OT - why would it not work in your area, or any area - fingerprints are fingerprints aren't they?
Localized drivers?

As mentioned above, very happy with Pro 3 - BUT - were I get another one, I'd go with the i7 model inststead of the i5.

Same reason that Windows Hello isn't available in all regions yet I guess. Regional developments/coding/licensing or something. Territory agreements for intellectual property I wouldn't doubt.

I know there have been positive reviews posted before, but honestly I never would have guessed how much better the new keyboard is in every way. It's stiff, the tactile feel of the keys is amazing, touch pad is as good as most laptops, and it just looks and feels fantastic. This, along with the tweaks I've just done to improve the battery life, have made it seem like a whole new device and will keep me from being tempted to upgrade for a long time. If anyone is on the fence, spend the $130 and don't think twice. Once you snap it on I guarantee you won't regret the purchase.

gary

Could you elaborate on your "tweaks" to improve battery life?

Thanks!

SeeVuPlay

I also picked up the SP4 KB and it is FANTASTIC! The only way they can improve on this is to make one that also has a battery that will extend by 4 hours...Do it Microsoft!

I haven't gotten the new pen yet, but that is on my wish list!