What's new

EXE files

Imran

Hi all,

Sorry to sound like a noob but I'm not very technical with programs and stuff....

Can anyone walk me through the process of opening exe files (I hope that's the correct name!!). I am able to do it without an issue on my blackberry z10 device but the surface 2 says that it cannot open the file and asks me to try to do so with an app from the store. And I can seem to find any app in the store that does it!

Thanks

Imran

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 2 will not run 3rd party .exe files and will only run Apps from the Windows App Store. The Surface 2 runs on ARM not on an Intel x86 CPU and runs Windows RT which is a locked down OS, restricting 3rd Party Applications to run in the Modern UI. It also makes the OS more secure and stable, but has no legacy application support.

OP
I

Imran

Actually its an Adobe Acrobat PDF format version 7 file.

Basically I'm trying to open up a bank document which I can do on my ThinkPad and z10 with no issues but not on the surface 2!!??

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
A PDF is a Document not a Program, in the Windows App Store there is an Adobe PDF Reader available plus many 3rd Party PDF Readers. Windows also ships with a PDF Reader called Reader.

OP
I

Imran

Yes I thought so too.... so shouldn't this file open automatically? Why is it saying I can't open the file?

leeshor

The file "might" open automatically IF you have an app installed that can open it. Did you read/follow post #6

kundas1

Then it must be another type of file... I have always been able to open PDF files with just the regular reader program on my S2 without needing to download another program...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have reader and adobe touch installed from app store. Anything else??

Have you looked at File Associations? You may have a file association issue where Windows doesn't know which program to open PDF files. Also if your bank is using Adobe Acrobat to create the PDF they can put Digital Right Management in the file that will prevent the file from being open in anything but their desktop/mobile App. Instead of attempting to open it from the web, save it and open it from explorer.

leeshor

I'm not certain what could be going on. If I understand it, you have the Adobe reader installed and you are taping on a PDF file to try to open it and getting an error? Your original post mentioned an EXE file so I may be confused.