What's new

External Battery for RT

Lolvo

I know using an external for the Pro was a big discussion around here; I'm wondering if anyone has fooled around with an external battery for the RT? I've no clue about the differences in current/draw/etc. but I'm wondering if I can get a cable from MikeGuyver and use one of my own.

In the upcoming semesters, I will be using my RT in class daily. Three of my textbooks are eTextbooks, and will be read and studied through my Surface - along with all other daily usage. This has led me to thinking that I may need to invest in an external option at some point. Anyone want to get the ball rolling?

I have enough tech experience to do a modification like this easily (http://voltaicsystems.com/blog/portable-charger-for-microsoft-surface/), but not sure about what batteries I can and cannot use safely to keep my RT going.

I'm also seeking advice in setting up Remote Desktop, which I posted about on an existing thread.

Thanks

Last edited:

Wayne Orwig

The IntoCircuit battery has more capacity and a lower cost. Or about the same cost from Mike Gyver. He makes the correct cable also.

The Pro needs a little over 3 amps, and the RT about 2 amps. The IntoCircuit and Voltaic both have 3.5 amp max out @ 12 volts.

Russ

. . . external battery for the RT? . . . wondering if I can get a cable from MikeGuyver and use one of my own.

Lolvo --

I have both a Pro and an RT, plus my Ladyfriend has a Pro, and she travels. Also, as discussed in the other thread, I have both an Intocircuit battery and an Energizer XP18000A. Both work equally well on RT or Pro -- just different rundown times.

Yes, you can get just the cable from MikeGuyver. Use this link and scroll almost to the bottom of the page to find the cable.

If you get the IntoCircuit battery, be sure to lock down that voltage selector switch. A drop of hot-melt glue works fine.

Almost everything discussed in the other thread applies to both RT and Pro, except for recharge and rundown times.

Regards,

Russ

p.s.: Ask Wayne the hard questions. He's the smart one here. :)

OP
Lolvo

Lolvo

Lolvo --

I have both a Pro and an RT, plus my Ladyfriend has a Pro, and she travels. Also, as discussed in the other thread, I have both an Intocircuit battery and an Energizer XP18000A. Both work equally well on RT or Pro -- just different rundown times.

Yes, you can get just the cable from MikeGuyver. Use this link and scroll almost to the bottom of the page to find the cable.

If you get the IntoCircuit battery, be sure to lock down that voltage selector switch. A drop of hot-melt glue works fine.

Almost everything discussed in the other thread applies to both RT and Pro, except for recharge and rundown times.

Regards,

Russ

p.s.: Ask Wayne the hard questions. He's the smart one here. :)

Does the cable he sells work with those batteries?

Thanks for the replies.

Russ

Does the cable he sells work with those batteries?

Lolvo --

The cable Mike sells works with the Intocircuit battery, because that is the battery he sells. I got two of the cables from Mike (one for me, one for Ladyfriend). With the variety of tips provided, it would probably adapt to the XP18000A battery, but I don't know. I made my own cable for that battery, using a cable from a cheapie RT charger on Ebay for the Pro/RT end and a connector I found in my collection for the XP18000A battery end. That was very early in this whole process, and Mike wasn't selling his cable then, so I was in my usual "cut and fit" mode.

Take care,

Russ