What's new

External Display? 1440p or 4k? 24" or 27" ? What would you suggest?

rquellet

Do any of you guys have any experience with a 16:10 monitor that works happily with the SP3?
Honestly, most monitors work happily with the Surface. The issue here is Windows 8.1 multi-monitor DPI scaling problems. If you're willing to log out/log in every time you dock/undock the surface, you can get by.

I use a 24" 16x10 Dell at work. The newest model is: UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415. If you want to get away from the scaling nightmare, buy the Dell 27" 4k monitor.

malberttoo

Honestly, most monitors work happily with the Surface. The issue here is Windows 8.1 multi-monitor DPI scaling problems. If you're willing to log out/log in every time you dock/undock the surface, you can get by.

I use a 24" 16x10 Dell at work. The newest model is: UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415. If you want to get away from the scaling nightmare, buy the Dell 27" 4k monitor.

Thanks. I'm currently using 2 Dell 24" Ultra Sharp monitors, not sure of the exact model but they are 16:10 and I have really come to love that factor. But I'm getting the itch to upgrade to 27", but want something that plays relatively nice with the SP3.

enthuz

To keep the same topic in the same thread of 1440 scalling, I'll post my question here.

I just ordered 2 Dell U2515H's today (deal was too good to pass up). They are the 25" QHD 2560 x 1440 monitors. I will be using them in a DP daisy-chain setup via my SP3 dock. I see the recommendation of the 27" 4k monitor (too much $$ for me) to avoid the scaling issues, however with the 1440 res of the U2515H, what issues are foreseen? I do keep my SP3 docked close enough to still use the stylus and touch.

rquellet

To keep the same topic in the same thread of 1440 scalling, I'll post my question here.

I just ordered 2 Dell U2515H's today (deal was too good to pass up). They are the 25" QHD 2560 x 1440 monitors. I will be using them in a DP daisy-chain setup via my SP3 dock. I see the recommendation of the 27" 4k monitor (too much $$ for me) to avoid the scaling issues, however with the 1440 res of the U2515H, what issues are foreseen? I do keep my SP3 docked close enough to still use the stylus and touch.

The 25" monitor you mentioned has 117.5 DPI which would require 122.4% DPI scaling in Windows to be physically accurate. If you manually set your DPI to 125%, it would work. This will make things pretty small on the SP3 though (automatic DPI scaling on SP3 is 150%).

enthuz

The 25" monitor you mentioned has 117.5 DPI which would require 122.4% DPI scaling in Windows to be physically accurate. If you manually set your DPI to 125%, it would work. This will make things pretty small on the SP3 though (automatic DPI scaling on SP3 is 150%).

Okay, I will start there with my tweaking. Thank you.

Last edited:

enthuz

Well my two U2515H's came in today. It was a pain turning on the 1.2 settings and getting them set up. However once it was done and settings saved, it works very well. I didn't change anything with the scaling yet and have all three displays running at 2560 x 1440. I'm loving the extra real estate so far.
WP_20150120_17_43_40_Pro.jpg

rquellet

Well my two U2515H's came in today. It was a pain turning on the 1.2 settings and getting them set up. However once it was done and settings saved, it works very well. I didn't change anything with the scaling yet and have all three displays running at 2560 x 1440. I'm loving the extra real estate so far.
View attachment 5062

Looking good. Let us know what display settings you end up using.

zhenya

View attachment 5062

I've been thinking of getting a couple of these screens because they seem like they would give a tremendous amount of real estate without any custom resolutions as 4k requires. What scaling settings are you ending up with?

AbMarhon

Guys I want a monitor 23" - 27"
Samsung sa550 or Cross over or any "Korean monitors "
the would it work well on my Surface or suggest one not so pricey
:)

drlbg

I have the SP3 i7/512 GB and have been looking for the right monitor. Based upon reading this thread, I purchased the ASUS PB278Q. I connected it via HDMI to a mini-displayport adapter to the SP3. The result is awesome. Bright, clear, easily visible; great real estate for viewing and very easy to adjust. Even the built in speakers work well enough for normal windows notifications and routine internet audio.