What's new

External display turns off when tilting SP3

EcoGuy137

I just got a Cable Matters mini displayport to hdmi/vga/dvi adapter from Amazon. I am using it right now on my Asus monitor. However, it will not work unless the SP3 is lying flat! I have checked the connection, and when flat I can yank the cable all around with no loss of connection, like even pulling around the tablet by it - no problem. But as soon as I lift SP3 up at all it loses connection and reverts to SP3 display. I just have to BARELY lift it. I think it must be the accelerometer or gyroscope (not sure exactly how it measures this stuff).

Has anybody heard of this?

OP
E

EcoGuy137

I restarted and it worked standing up for a minute but then when I tested by moving the Surface around and the cables it reverted back to the behavior where it must be lying down. I turned off auto screen rotation as a test - no effect.

OP
E

EcoGuy137

Like I said - I can jiggle the cable and pull it when the tablet is lying down with no problem. as soon as i lift the tablet .5 centimeter though the display reverts to the built-in display. i can't output to the external at all if the tablet is standing with its kickstand. seems like the SP3 to me - but maybe a weird interaction with the adapter

graye

Try this... hold it "up in the air" while flat, put you finger over the camera "hole". Connect the cable and make sure everything still works. If so, then move your finger from the camera hole and see if that triggers it.

OP
E

EcoGuy137

Know what?

Even though I was so sure it wasn't the cable since I could jiggle it all around when the SP3 was laying down with no problem, I just confirmed that when standing up if I just push in the cable farther it would output the connection, but if I let go lose it gain. Perhaps I just found out this Cable Matters HDMI-DVI-VGA adapter just isn't a good match.

Sorry for the 'false alarm.' I will send this back and try a Startech. Any other good cables out there definitely compatible with the SP3?

Thanks for looking.

OP
E

EcoGuy137

Other than it costs 4x more than adapters with 4.5 star reviews and hundreds of confirmed purchases on Amazon? A lot of the people here seem just made of money. In fact, the adapter I need isn't even in stock (the one linked above is for TVs I guess - I don't have one) and even the Microsoft branded adapters have poor reviews.

Bandito

One thing that you can consider for your existing display adapter, is to try filing off a bit of the side of the connector housing that butts up against the top of the SP3's screen. Because the sides of the SP3 are angled, it may be blocking the mini-DP connector from seating fully. Shaving the connector housing down on that side by a millimeter or so may be all that is needed to allow it to fully and securely connect to the SP3.

OP
E

EcoGuy137

Thanks Bandito. I have ordered two other brands to try. After I try them I will report back on what worked for me. If all have a problem I will considering using a razor blade to shave one down.