What's new

External Monitor Screen Flicker

OP
scfoster

scfoster

So I think I know what is causing the screen flicker. It's not the screen connection but the USB mouse connection, both a wired Microsoft mouse and a USB Wireless Microsoft Explorer mouse. Both cause both cursor flicker and screen flicker. Both mice work fine with the SP3 display when no external monitor is connected.

Switched to a Bluetooth Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000 and haven't had a problem since then.

Replacing a mouse is a hell of a lot cheaper than a monitor so I'll settle for the inconvenience.

GoodBytes

waaaaaaaaaaa?!
Very very strange, very unexpected, and I don't see the relation. But good to know it is fixed, and you found the fix.

OP
scfoster

scfoster

waaaaaaaaaaa?!
Very very strange, very unexpected, and I don't see the relation. But good to know it is fixed, and you found the fix.

My thoughts exactly but that's why they pay me the big bucks to figure out crazy sh!t in corporate environments :p

Went to the Microsoft Store and the tech there was less than useless. Nice guy but... well he was a nice guy (should probably go next door and sell shoes or something).

24 hours and stable as a rock. Very happy now. Even felt frisky and updated the wireless drivers (figured I'd tackle one variable at a time).

OP
scfoster

scfoster

Spoke too soon... screen flicker is back with a vengeance. I'm now able to replicate it on the SP3 screen without an external monitor attached. I still think it has something to do with the USB connection. I had two SP3's on which I was able to replicate the screen flicker (returned one over the weekend) so it's not just this unit.

So the Microsoft Store was a waste of time, I'll now give MS a call this evening (busy day) to see what they can do. If we can't get this fixed this week then back it goes. Well past the time I should be screwing with it. Was supposed to increase efficiency, not suck hours on end troubleshooting.

To the person that posted that Apple also has issues, I don't disagree. However I can tell you they are WAY MORE responsive (at least to me) when I've called their tech support. Escalations to 2nd and 3rd level support are very fast and they will not hesitate to set up device logging with an engineer to track down the problem. Does not apply to iTunes.... that whole group should be shot.

Sh!t happens... I get that. What is frustrating to folks is not knowing if or when a fix might even be available. If I knew that someone at MS had this on their radar and were working on a fix, I'd be more patient. But every time I call, they want to open a new ticket.... so they have the infamous ticket churn (close tickets so they don't exceed the SLA resulting in negative Management attention).

So today the SP3 does not go to work with me... it will be the Macbook Air. No pen input but it works. ScanSnap 1500 takes care of handwritten notes capture.

GoodBytes

I fully understand your situation, and I would return the device.
The last thing I want is that the device was part of a bad batch, and then when I get the news of a new batch where it works, replace the device under warranty, and end up with a refurbished device, despite being under 3 months old. It would make me feel like I purchased a refurbished device at full price.

Beside, if you can wait 6month or so, I expect the SP4 to be much better. The simple fact that it will have Intel new lower powered and faster CPU, will make the device shine even more, as it would also fix the throttling problem, and polish the device new features more (example, the hinge, if something can be improved, from the current design to make it even better, whether they advertise it or not)

OP
scfoster

scfoster

Finally got someone at Microsoft to escalate the screen flicker issue to 2nd level support. The tech told me it's a known issue. The Apple 27" LED Cinema display is on the list of "compatible" devices so it should work.
They're going to call me back in a few days.

TK_Vancouver

I have a similar problem - Surface Pro 3 connected to a Dell 2711 monitor (2560 X1440) using a mini display port to display port cable 1.2. Intermittent flicker on Dell display - perfect display on Surface Pro 3 (I previously had the Surface Pro 2 connected using the same cable and same Dell 2711 with no flicker).

Surface Pro 3 - i5 with standard 128 GB and standard HD 4400 graphics.

Can others connect a Surface Pro 3 i5 using a display port cable (not HDMI) and report if you are having a similar problem. i.e. I want to know if I have a defective Surface Pro 3.

Thanks

P.S. Also, another poster mentioned that if he used the Microsoft 5000 Bluetooth mouse, this eliminated the flicker - not so with me - flicker occurs whether the Bluetooth mouse is on or off.

Last edited:
OP
scfoster

scfoster

Talked the MS folks in allowing me to swap the i5 for an i7 to see if the flicker disappeared (only cost me $50 :D).

Well that didn't work. Bone stock... no applications installed, still has the flicker. Screen works fine with a Surface Pro 2 and a Macbook Air.

Others have also had the same issue with other monitors.

I have the docking station on order, so we'll see if that works.

TK_Vancouver

I spoke with Microsoft support and they figured it was a defect in the mini display port on the Surface Pro 3. I brought it back to the Microsoft Store for a replacement. The new one worked - it did NOT have any flicker when connected to the Dell at 2560 X 1440 - however, the unit ran hot and the fan was on a lot of the time - saw the temperature warning icon too. I brought that one back and exchanged it for another Surfacr Pro 3. Again, this one worked at 2560 X 1440 without any flicker.

Sooooo....the bottom line is that if you have any flicker when connecting your Surface Pro 3 using a mini display port to display port cable to an external monitor at 2560 X 1440, it's likely a defect in your Surface Pro 3, not a driver issue.

OP
scfoster

scfoster

Sooooo....the bottom line is that if you have any flicker when connecting your Surface Pro 3 using a mini display port to display port cable to an external monitor at 2560 X 1440, it's likely a defect in your Surface Pro 3, not a driver issue.

My experience is different. I'm now on my 5th SP3 (3 i5's and 2 i7's) with the dreaded external monitor flicker exhibited on all of them. What are the odds of 5 bad units in a row?

I can say it's not as prevalent on the i7 units but it does happen. Typically, I have to unplug the cable and reconnect until it stops flickering. Before anyone zeros in on a cable issue, the monitor works just fine with an SP2 or Macbook Air, so that's not the issue.