What's new

External Storage for SP3

ajamils

I'm in a process of replacing my desktop with SP3 and I've got the dock and for the most part everything works as expected. The only issue I currently have is that I cannot figure out a way to have a good performing external storage without spending a ton of money.
I would like to know what others are using to increase the SP3 storage. I have a SP3 i5/256GB.

megatronium

I'm in a process of replacing my desktop with SP3 and I've got the dock and for the most part everything works as expected. The only issue I currently have is that I cannot figure out a way to have a good performing external storage without spending a ton of money.
I would like to know what others are using to increase the SP3 storage. I have a SP3 i5/256GB.

Seagate 2TB external - requires no additional power - 100mbs xfer spped

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...7173&sr=8-2&keywords=2+tb+external+hard+drive

OP
A

ajamils

These are good options for "on the go" but do you really need a portable drive if you are using SP3 as desktop replacement? I already have a 4TB Seagate attached for backup and also a 4 bay external HD enclosure with old drives from the desktop but they a slow.

Deryl McCarty

I just use a .5T Seagate 2.5" USB 3 attached to a 10 port Cable Matters 3.0 hub, since I only save .doc .xl , access, pdf and such files. Pics and flics not so much. But also attached to the 10 port is a DVD RW and a BR RW just in case I need to read or modify really old files (like late 90s or early 00). These are just long term back ups that are becoming less relevant as I transfer data to One Drive - which I have not done for that really old stuff because of a rarely fatal disease I have that affects finger and brain function called TDL. (Too Damned Lazy). Anymore most of my day to day saving is to One Drive and a 128GB microSD. And I suspect that 256GB and eventually 1TB micro SD cars will be available and that would suit me just fine.

OP
A

ajamils

I edit quite a few RAW photographs on regular basis and that's why speed as well as backup are both important for me. I first thought of just getting 128GB but that' won't cut it because the pictures are already over 300GB right now and with mp3s and other documents I need at least close to 1TB.