What's new

Fake charger?

jamesk

I just purchased an extra charger at Best Buy and it looks different than the original charger that was included with my Surface Pro 3. The charger block does not have the Microsoft holographic sticker and the charger cable is missing the rubber clip on the chord. Are all extra chargers like this?

kundas1

there is no way best buy would sell a fake charger.. with that said, was it an open box that you purchased? perhaps maybe someone returned it with a replaced fake charger OR its the wrong charger you purchased? perhaps the SP2 charger?

OP
J

jamesk

It was sealed new in box. The chargers are on sale for $52.99.

I read the box before I purchase things...

ptrkhh

The charger block does not have the Microsoft holographic sticker and the charger cable is missing the rubber clip on the chord. Are all extra chargers like this?
If I don't get it wrong, the sticker youre talking about is the "Windows 8 Pro" sticker.

If that's the case, it is the logo that is *supposed* to be attached to the device itself. You can see that on any other Windows device. However, Microsoft decided to put it on the charger for whatever reason. In short, the logo comes with the Windows 8 license, which comes with the device. Since you bought a charger only, with no Windows license, you don't get the sticker.

For what it's worth, my SP3 came new from the MS Store with a power cord without a rubber clip but obviously did have the Windows sticker. So perhaps MS has decided to manufacture the cords without the rubber clip.