What's new

fan noise

RémiM

Hi,

I was just listening to my fan and wondering something:

**from my chair, when the fan is on, I can hear a very clear "Pshhh".
**but when I put my ear close to the air vent, I can hear a little "Rrrr - Rrrr - Rrrr" deep inside the "Pshhh", like a cyclic little mechanical noise.

I was just wondering if this "Rrrr - Rrrr - Rrrr" is normal. I've never loved the mechanical noises. It's never a good sign.

Is that serious, or is it absolutely normal doctor ?

Thanks for reading !

wynand32

"Rrrr - Rrrr - Rrrr" isn't normal, but "RrrA-RrrA-RrrO" is. Sounds like the 22nd bearing is about to let go.

:)

Seriously, I think there might be some kind of underlying mechanical hum on mine. I know the thing is spinning at crazy fast speeds, so some sort of harmonic distortion wouldn't surprise me. As long as it's keeping cool and not running at crazy lengths/speeds, I wouldn't worry about it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Rrrr - Rrrr - Rrrr" isn't normal, but "RrrA-RrrA-RrrO" is. Sounds like the 22nd bearing is about to let go.

Seriously, I think there might be some kind of underlying mechanical hum on mine. I know the thing is spinning at crazy fast speeds, so some sort of harmonic distortion wouldn't surprise me. As long as it's keeping cool and not running at crazy lengths/speeds, I wouldn't worry about it.
Nothing a shot of WD40 wouldn't cure :D no no don't do it.

OP
RémiM

RémiM

It doesnt sound like I have a chainsaw in my SP3 (who knows, maybe its a hiden feature for canadian customers), it's a really tiny little cyclic Rrrr far inside the Pshhh. If I dont put my ear close to the air vent, I can't hear it at all.

Then, nothing to really worry about !

Grumpy2

I do not know why some of you people worry so much about your device(s). They do come with a two year warranty you know. So stop worrying and just use the damn thing. If it breaks down before the two years is up then you can get it replaced under warranty.
Really this forum seems to be full of people who like to complain because they have got nothing better to do.
So stop complaining. Use your device and enjoy it.