What's new

Fan problem

TallSmile

Hello everyone,
does anyone else experiencing the use that for instance in laptop mode the fan makes some kind of resonance noise on low RPM. If you fold the screen downwards and then back into the same position the noise is gone. Also if fan starts to spin even faster the strange noise also disappears. This only happens after then the fan was idle for some time.

Any thoughts and suggestion would be highly appreciated.

dleuen

I've not experienced that nor heard of that before. I wonder if you just have a bad fan that is not balanced. I rarely even notice the fan on my device.

OP
T

TallSmile

Just googled the sound of not balanced fan and it seems that I have it. I really do not want to exchange my sp3 because I just attached my new skin onto it and I am also kinda dependent on my sp3 for my studies and worried that the whole procedure will take forever. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to fix\ send new unit? Also would warranty cover this defect later on?

Telstar1948

Not sure; guess you'll have to talk with MS to know for sure. Don't know where you're at but you may be able to do an exchange locally, but you still have the sticker problem regardless.

malberttoo

Just googled the sound of not balanced fan and it seems that I have it. I really do not want to exchange my sp3 because I just attached my new skin onto it and I am also kinda dependent on my sp3 for my studies and worried that the whole procedure will take forever. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to fix\ send new unit? Also would warranty cover this defect later on?

I believe most users are reporting the exchanges taking 4-5 days. The standard warranty will cover a bad fan.

OP
T

TallSmile

If this issue is covered by standard warranty, I think I will enjoy my skin for now and wait until the sound becomes more annoying.

OP
T

TallSmile

Just wanted to make and update that I have ended up exchanging my surface last week because the noise became unbearable. Goods news that exchange took only 3 days. Bad news is that I have to buy new skin and also the new surface has slightly misaligned bezel next to the camera. Do Microsoft have any kind of quality control? Out of my initial order I did not exchange only my charger and no I am scared that it will fail someday soon too.