What's new

Fast battery drain

Oliverlloyd96

Hi all, I bought this device about two weeks ago, I love the device but the battery seems to drain quite quickly. I contacted Microsoft surface support and they recommended that I went back to windows 8.1 then go back to windows 10 as there may have been a bad download the first time, I have had windows 10 for the last few days and the battery level seems to still be falling quite quickly.

While browsing the forums earlier, with just one tab open on edge, and brightness at 0%, at 19:59 the battery level was 29%, then at 20:14 the battery level was 21%, the device also felt quite hot only doing a simple task, does this seem right? Are there any updates/ software to fix this? Or is it a defective device?

Thanks, Oliver

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

You need to identify what is using the processor. The easiest first step - open task manager - more details if needed then look at what's using the most processor %.

OP
O

Oliverlloyd96

Hi Ieeshor,

Thanks for the reply. I have been monitoring the task manager and the CPU % is bellow 5% most of the time, no task above 2%, is this right?

leeshor

Could be. Did you sort the CPU column? It's all the tasks that take up the CPU but so far that sounds reasonable. You shouldn't be using that much battery from that little about of info.

leeshor

No, that looks normal for stock Edge. It could improve if you used Firefox or if you used a custom host file that blocks ads.