What's new

Fast MicroSD ok for Photoshop Lightroom work ?

Sven

Hi guys

Thinking of getting a 64gb Samsung Pro MicroSD (the newer 90/80 read write version).

Does anybody have experience storing and editing photos using Lightroom (or similar) on a MicroSD card - is the performance decent ?

Naturally the SSD drive is still much faster.

From a workflow perspective, it would be easy to use the included SD adapter, shoot with it inside my Olympus OM-D then take it out and slot it into the SP3 to continue post processing.

Thoughts ?

Cheers

MikeB

I'm now using a microSD card with adapter in my OM-D, and importing to Lightroom works great. But my Lightroom catalog and photo storage is on an external USB 3.0 hard drive, which I then move to my desktop for further processing once I'm home. Speed is fine using the external drive, though I think you want to try to configure Lightroom to keep it's cache on your internal SSD.

I have no problem actually processing photos on the SP3 with Lightroom. I can work with either the pen or a slim bluetooth mouse, but you'll want the keyboard attached due to all the nice shortcuts. The screen is good, colors seem to be right and the size isn't too small. I definitely prefer using my 27" desktop monitor, but can work without it when traveling.

Maximus3D

I bought two of these Samsung memorycards today, one for my Surface Pro 3 and one for my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. But i wouldn't use it as a working device for storing large amounts of RAW photos on, not only because of it's slower speeds compared to the internal SSD but also as all the read/writes will shorten it's lifespan.

Keep the RAW files on your internal SSD, when you're finished export the final photos as a Lightroom catalog to a external disk and archive them.

/ Magnus

HvT

Don't load and use your Lightroom library from a SD/microSD. That's ways too slow. Loading/importing images works - of course.