What's new

fastest file transfer with Surface Pro? Thunderbolt displayport?

reptilian

Sorry to post this twice. It qualifies under both Accessories and Surface Pro topics.

Amazon.com: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter: Computers & Accessories

Has anyone tried this adapter? It's made by Apple, so I doubt there would be driver support. Do you think Win 8 Pro would detect it as a new network interface?

I'm trying to find the fastest way to transfer my huge Adobe and HD video files from the Surface Pro to my USB 2.0 desktop. It seems like Gigabit Ethernet is the way to go, until I saw this device. Gb Ethernet 1Gbps = about 125MB/sec. USB 3.0 is around 5Gbps and I don't even know what displayport speed would be. Here are my current choices:

USB 3.0 SD/microSD card reader (sneakernet from PC to PC) - works just fine, slightly slow.
USB 3.0 10/100/1Gb Ethernet adapter (crossover cable) - seems like a winner.
Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (probably not compatible? I'd prefer this to installing USB Ethernet)
USB 3.0 data transfer cable to USB 2.0 PC. Are these plug and play?

I know I can buy a USB 3.0 PCI card, but I'm not going to. Bad USB PCI experiences in the past and I'm ok with USB 2.0 speed.

Russ

( . . . I'd prefer this to installing USB Ethernet)

Reptilian --

I don't understand "installing USB Ethernet." There's nothing to install -- just plug it in. StarTech makes a nice USB3 to Ethernet adapter that is plug 'n play. (StarTech.com USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet). I bought one on Amazon to use in setting up two Pros. I use it occasionally now to transfer large files to or from the Pro. Since you're transferring into 1GB ethernet, it's already as fast as you will get, and no questions about compatibility.

Regards,
Russ

OP
R

reptilian

Thanks Russ. I meant I will avoid USB Ethernet if I can. I'm an IT guy, and yeah, USB drivers should work fine. I'm just being picky about keeping my Pro sparkly clean, and free of drivers that can sometimes cause stability issues. I already have a Linksys 10/100 USB, but of course, no driver support. As well as for crossover cables to work, I have to manually configure the IP addresses, etc. If I can accomplish a fast enough, trouble-free file transfer with just a male-male USB cable, I'll do that. To explain, it would be nice if that thunderbolt - RJ45 adapter DID work since maybe Windows would already have the necessary drivers (similar to HDMI - Ethernet). But I really doubt that is the case. If anyone tries that adapter, please post your results! I am glad to hear the StarTech works ok. Did it use the MS native drivers and not come with a disc?

Russ

I am glad to hear the StarTech works ok. Did it use the MS native drivers and not come with a disc?

Reptilian --

Native drivers. Just plugged it in first time and, after a moment's hesitation to find the drivers, it worked. Thereafter, it's instant.

I'm not an IT guy, just a hobbyist, so don't understand what would bother you about native USB drivers. I used that connector to set up two Pro's (mine and Ladyfriend's) and have never seen even a hiccup. I think you would be more likely to see problems with the Thunderbolt than USB3-Ethernet.

Regards,
Russ

OP
R

reptilian

Native USB drivers are what I'd prefer. It's the poorly-written, unsupported driver discs from overseas that I worry about. They can cause trouble. I'll probably order a StarTech.

Russ

Native USB drivers are what I'd prefer. It's the poorly-written, unsupported driver discs from overseas that I worry about. They can cause trouble. I'll probably order a StarTech.

Reptilian --

I am kinda in that neighborhood, too. I am almost casual about what I put on my Win8 desktop, because I know that, sitting just one bay down is a fully bootable, recent clone of my drive. I am a lot more thoughtful about what I put on the Pro. I like your "sparkly clean" description. That fits my attitude very nicely.

I think you will be pleased with the StarTech device.

Take care,
Russ