What's new

Solved Fatal Infection in Edge

seyclone

I was on line yesterday and had 8 or 10 sites open on Chrome, which I use most of the time. I wanted to check on a travel question that came up without disturbing anything, so I popped over to Edge, which I hardly ever use. I don't remember the site that I was going to, but what happened next is the following:

"A site that says it is buzzer.co.in/alert.html posted this info:

"This site says
Windows Security Essential detected an attempt of identity theft or spyware bot attacks on this device.
All attempts to quarantine the threats failed.
Please contact Window Live Support at 888-414-4284 (toll-free)"

It was impossible to get out of Edge, so I went to taskmaster and killed the app. When I turn Edge on again, the same thing happens. Rebooting does the same. It seems that there is some kind of infection in the program itself. By the way, the phone number is for some snarky web service company, not Microsoft. They are probably the authors of the botware.

Any suggestions?

leeshor

It doesn't sound at all like an Edge problem. Check to see that your Internet connection isn't using a proxy. If it is, you have some malware, (even if it isn't). I suggest installing Malwarebytes and running a full scan

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run Malwarebytes. This is Browser hijacking, scareware to get you to call them for money... some of these hit you with a big phone bill just for calling. DO NOT CALL them.

OP
seyclone

seyclone

Thanks, everybody for the quick replies. I've ran Malware-antibytes in extended mode and Avast Premium. Neither one detected anything. I did a hard reboot. I even started using BIOS - no change. I'm thinking that I might have to get rid of Edge (have to find the app first) and re-install it (or not, I don't really like it).

OK guys/gals, suggestions please!

BillJ

Next step to consider is a full system refresh; that will re-install Win 10 and Edge from the recovery partition.

leeshor

@seyclone did you check to see if in your Internet connections there was a proxy set? As good as Malwarebytes is, it can't find everything. There is another app, (actually 2), out there designed for issue with browsers. 1 is ADWCleaner and the other is Junkware Removal Tool, (JRT). Both can be downloaded from the Bleeping Computer website safely.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id hope there is a way in W10 to reset Edge to defaults which would generally take care of browser hijacking but I don't know where it is and haven't looked for it.

OP
seyclone

seyclone

Problem Fixed!
I got on the Microsoft Customer support site and tech initiated a remote session. After about 40 minutes, he was able to clear out the infections and Edge is good to go now. Sorry to say I couldn't follow everything he did , so I can't repeat the procedure.

Last edited:

TPadden

Problem Fixed!
I got on the Microsoft Customer support site and tech initiated a remote session. After about 40 minutes, he was able to clear out the infections and Edge is good to go now. Sorry to say I couldn't follow everything he did , so I can't repeat the procedure.
Probably a simple clear of the cache: upper right corner: " ... " , settings, (clear browsing data) choose what to clear ......

Last edited: