What's new

Faulty charge port?

Tidymax

Hi folks!

I bought a new surface Pro at Christmas as my msi laptop had died.

2 months ago it stopped charging with both the normal charger and my surface Dock charger (or is it a surface hub? With the Ethernet and usbs etc)

Anyway I've been messing around and it appears to be a bad connection but I can't figure out where!

Is there a common fault and common fix with these? I had managed to get it charging a few times but the closest I can get now is just a dim flicker of the charge led.

Any help is much appreciated as I really need it for programming some lights this evening!

Cheers :)

Max

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like debris on/around the port of the Surface Pro 4. Look closely with a light. Blow any sediment it out. Don't use a toothpick. Dab isopropyl alcohol, lightly. Look for metallic fibers or shavings (the port tends to magnetize).

OP
T

Tidymax

Yeah I also think it's the port. I've blown it out and really looked around but can't see any damage.

I can't find a picture online of how one should look like OR how they work. All of the pins in the port look like they are flush with the case. When the the charger is received into the port do the pins get pushed out? Does anyone have a pic of their port? I'm having an absolute nightmare as both my laptop and surface have broken in the same day! Thanks for the replies!

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_074508.jpg
    IMG_20180722_074508.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 509

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Your port looks okay, but one of the pins may have a coating of tarnish, adhesive residue, grease, etc. picked up from somewhere. It happens ...

I've included a picture of my Surface Book 2 15" port. Same. Works by slightly pushing pins outward. Pins on both sides are to the same circuit, allowing the connection to be made upside down with no problem.

Try wetting one of your connectors ever so slightly with isopropyl alcohol, then making a connection. The idea is to gently wipe the pins with some alcohol, removing debris.

port.jpg

3kiw

Yeah I also think it's the port. I've blown it out and really looked around but can't see any damage.

I can't find a picture online of how one should look like OR how they work. All of the pins in the port look like they are flush with the case. When the the charger is received into the port do the pins get pushed out? Does anyone have a pic of their port? I'm having an absolute nightmare as both my laptop and surface have broken in the same day! Thanks for the replies!

Did you sort this out?

I have the same trouble. I gave the port a good clean, even bought another (expensive) SP3 charger, tried charging my SP3 at JBHifi, and desperately tried to squash the port, all to no avail. I can't even get the LED to flicker anymore.

The device is out of warranty so Microsoft suggested a replacement for $799 AUD. I paid $1000 for the device a year and a half ago. An IT repair shop said they can replace a charger port for $399, I may go down this path and sell it once I've completed this month's project.

The work around I have had to use is an Alogic 12v car charger ($40) and a 7.5 amp 12v-240v inverter ($50). I assume it doesn't 'talk' to the device in any way - just pushes power into it. It is cumbersome but at least I can use my SP3 again. I would like to know if I can make the AC charger function the same way.

I'm looking very closely at the new Surfaces for the same fault as some use the same connector type.