What's new

Solved Favor to ask of someone who just got a SP3 with Windows 10 preinstalled

doodeldoo77

Just found this forum on my desparate search for this Image as well. It would be so great if you could forward me that link too. Thank you in advance!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Little Birdie says:
I think Microsoft should explain why we can have a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 (nearly rammed down our throats) but we cannot have or download a Windows 10 Image with all the drivers and setup scripts for our Surface. You can post it right there on the Download page.

Understand that users will pass it around amongst themselves anyway. Spock would say: illogical. ;)

Add this too the list of prior driver versions that should be available to download.

OP
majorgearhead

majorgearhead

Hate to say it but this version of Windows 10 is not much better than stock. It just has the oobe Surface logo in System and asks to pair the pen on first run. Nothing else is any more polished. On a second machine with Windows 10 out of the box. Observations:
- first boot from factory has grey background and buttons on first boot (normal), but if you take the same Windows 10 image from the recovery on MS site 10.10.34 it has blue background and grey buttons. Looks like a clown mashup.
- recovery after loading the ISO is missing the pen pairing dialog even though you get that when installing straight from the ISO.
- (Universal to all images) a display driver gets auto installed within the first 10 mins after boot. It will not show up in the modern settings panel. You need to go to the control panel ad/remove software panel to see it. If you don't wait for this to install and try and do system updates you get failures to install.

Advantages of image:
- driver pack is installed by detail even if it is OLD
- pen pairing dialog in startup
- oobe Surface image in System panel
- hibernate at 240 mins on battery is set up by default

Something interesting I noticed when testing. If the SP3 came with Windows 10 and you try and install the stock W10 ISO (Not the recovery) it does not ask you for product keys at all where normally it would ask you two times normally. Seems they store something on the web or in UEFI that is not happening for machines that came with Windows 8 and were upgraded to 10 regardless of whether you use this SP3 W10 image.