What's new

File History Question

grumpy

So, I get an alert to set up the File History, which I have yet to do on my SP3. While my desktop machine is connected to an external HDD, I have never connected my SP3 to it or, for that matter, to any drive (including any USB drive) till date. So, here is my question: (1) Can I set file history to save to the MicroSD card? (2) Can I keep using the same USB thumb drive to do save file history? (3) Can I save file history to OneDrive (if yes, how?) and (4) any other option?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know how invested you are in using Windows File File History. Personally, I am not too fond of the included Windows backup tools. For file level backups, I rather like FreeFileSync. It is relatively easy to use and it gives good control over how and where your files are backed up.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks. I got it to work, but I discovered that I cannot set the MicroSD card as being the target where to save the File History. It has to be an external drive - USB or HDD etc. This is so odd...why can't I use the MicroSD drive, it would be the most convenient.

Edit: So I used an USD thumb drive. Now when I go to file history, it shows that drive. It also gives an option to choose an alternate drive. When I select that the MicroSD option does not come up. Why would this be so? Does this card or the target destination have to be of NTFS format. I don't remember what is the format of the card though.

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Mine is formatted exFAT and it will allow me to select it....

Damn! Should I reformat the card? Can I do this from within the device? After that I will only have to enable the OneDrive folder to save to the SD card. Is this right? In fact, is this worth it?

Edit: I was planning to get the 128GB MicroSD card and saving the file history therein would be ideal!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

You can format the drive using File Explorer from the desktop to NTFS or exFAT....

And, what would you recommend? exFat? It's very odd really that when I look for other drives to save file history to the MicroSD card does not show up at all - though it appears without any problems in File Explorer and I move files back and forth from and to it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
And, what would you recommend? exFat? It's very odd really that when I look for other drives to save file history to the MicroSD card does not show up at all - though it appears without any problems in File Explorer and I move files back and forth from and to it.
I' like exFAT but NTFS works as long as you accept that it has a bit more overhead....