Finally got the Pro ... but

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by OnTheSurface, Feb 15, 2013.

1. OnTheSurface

OnTheSurface New Member

So after not wanting to wait for a 128gb model to replenish, I decided to get the smaller version with a large MSD card. So far, I love it. This is coming from someone who has used nothing but iPad since it's release.

Now, unfortunately, that is where the praise ends. I have a clump of dead pixels right square in the middle of my screen. Likely 4-5 in total. I will be returning the unit tomorrow for another, and hoping I don't have the same issue.

I plan to replace the hard drive soon, which was another reason I decided to go with the lesser expensive of the two choices. I can use the $100 towards the drive now.

Anyways, impressed with the device, not at all impressed with the QC on Microsoft's behalf.

2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Well your sample size of 1 is pretty low ;)

3. bosamar

bosamar Well-Known Member

My Device:
    RT
    Quality Control issues happen, MS will swap it no problem. Now as I read your post IMO you plan to swap hard drives? That's dangerous IMO. Good luck with that. Please report results.

4. machistmo

machistmo Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - iFixit I am considering a 256 but man that looks like a HERCULEAN task to replace the drive. Though it seems theoretically possible. And it IS an MSATA.

5. lyrragnus

lyrragnus New Member

My Device:
    RT
    I have seen a couple of posts about dead pixels on various sites. Don't know if the teardown states who actually makes the surface pro for MS.

6. OnTheSurface

OnTheSurface New Member

Well, I was able to find another one on my way to Kingston this morning, and they had some TypeCovers in stock as well, so I picked one up.

This display seems to be free of defects, and the MSD slot actually works as well. The other one had a spring broken so the card would not come back out without a knife. I think that first one I got was a real lemon.

I have installed Lightroom 4 on it, and started doing some basic edits. Very impressed with the power from this little unit. I can't wait to connect my Cinema Display for real editing.