What's new

Finding the Battery Drain

Wow. Day 2 and it's worse today. Attached is both the sleep study that I ran and battery screen.

I disallowed calendar refresh now in background but Edge is not nor ever was allowed. Furthermore, I CLOSED all these apps before shutting the lid on my machine, at 100% battery life, and heading out.

That was at 8:15am. At 12pm., I was down to 58% battery!!! I mean, COME ON NOW!!!! WTH?

Prior to upgrading I NEVER EVER had this issue. Suddenly, I'm losing 42% in 4 hours? I do use Cortana but if that's what is causing this then it's ridiculous to even use it to begin with.

And if I have to put my machine in airplane mode or just completely power it off vs hibernate it makes the machine less useful over time...one of the features is the quick boot up, etc. This is ridiculous.

If someone can look at what I have done here and tell me what I am missing I'd really appreciate it. Again, I'm kind of a novice about battery issues but learning quickly. NEVER had a major issue until the upgrade.

Thanks

I think your issue is that connected standby is not moving to the hibernate state after a while. I never really used connected standby unless I will be accessing the device before 30 minutes. To not even use battery while SP3 is not being used, just shut down rather than connected standby since connected standby turns on everything except for display, and win32 programs. Connected standby on Windows 8.1 works great while it's still glitchy in 10.

sean1216

I guess we should shut down completely every time. I wish I'd waited before upgrading. The battery life and heating issues really bother me. Love the interface.

Performance wise, they are identical according to my trusty CPUMark99 on my i5 SP3 4GB RAM:

G0pumdW.png

Windows 10:

zTF606w.png

Higher is better and a difference of 2 pts is practically negligible.

Battery life is the same as well while in use. Connected Standby battery is a lot worse in 10 on my SP3 due to some weird activity while at that state

OP
S

SeanP

Performance wise, they are identical according to my trusty CPUMark99 on my i5 SP3 4GB RAM:

G0pumdW.png

Windows 10:

zTF606w.png

Higher is better and a difference of 2 pts is practically negligible.

Battery life is the same as well while in use. Connected Standby battery is a lot worse in 10 on my SP3 due to some weird activity while at that state

Same with mine. I think it's connected Standby that's the issue.

Attached screenshot. I have been tracking this since downloaded 10. Been the same issue. I shut off location and Cortana and that helped tremendously. But again, it's always USB Root related.

Attachments

• Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    99.7 KB · Views: 645

manoroid

someone earlier was saying something about the micro sd card being mounted and noticed it draws constant power. I ejected it when not using it and ,y battery life only used about 5 percent on stand by

yonghong

someone earlier was saying something about the micro sd card being mounted and noticed it draws constant power. I ejected it when not using it and ,y battery life only used about 5 percent on stand by
I can't do this, because I use a case on top it

I had the same issue. Instead not using the memory card, I change the driver (mine Realtek) to windows provided driver and it has been 3 days now not seeing the memory card draining power issue. Finger cross....

rege0039

I had the same issue. Instead not using the memory card, I change the driver (mine Realtek) to windows provided driver and it has been 3 days now not seeing the memory card draining power issue. Finger cross....

Where did you get/find the Windows driver ?

Do you know what version of RealTek driver you were using ? (so I can check if I have that one too)

Thanks

VickiFL

Thank you, this does work, but I hate having to remove my micro SD card every time I need my SP3 to sleep, though.

kristalsoldier

Thank you, this does work, but I hate having to remove my micro SD card every time I need my SP3 to sleep, though.

I was having the same problem - and I am now testing whether the problem continues after having done the following: (1) I removed the mSD card; (2) I then put it back in; (3) From Device Manager, under Drives, I went to SD Card> Properties and reinstalled the driver.

For the moment my SP3 is quiet and cool. Also, I am testing the effect of this on the battery. Let's see what happens!