Fingerprint sensor necessary?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by SurfaceGk, Feb 15, 2016.

1. SurfaceGk

SurfaceGk New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Purchased the regular Keyboard, not knowing there was a fingerprint scanner version of the keyboard. I'm still in my return window and pondering exchanging it. I use Hello with facial recognition and it's great except for when the camera doesn't turn on (happened once in the week I own my SP4). Any arguments for the fingerprint scanner? Should I save my $30 and keep what I have?
    Thanks

2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    My Hello works great and the one time it didn't it wasn't a big deal to enter a PIN so I'm not sure the finger print scanner, though it works well, isn't more of a gimmick than anything. It would be much more help if there wasn't any Hello.

3. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

As above, except for me a pin is so simple I don't see any reason to use Hello either. No way I would pay extra for a finger print scanner

4. Nuspieds

Nuspieds Active Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    The fingerprint reader is not just only useful for Windows Hello. Since my original SP, I had purchased a USB version to both logon to Windows and to use with LastPass and RoboForm.

I am really hoping that this year that LastPass (the one I use primarily) is updated to support Windows Hello so that I can ditch the fingerprint reader.

5. majorgearhead

majorgearhead Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I have the keyboard for the SP4 with the fingerprint reader. I originally purchased it for my SP3, but now that I have an SP4 I use it with that. Most of the time I use the visual hello, but there are times when the machine is off center and I cant look at the camera head on and times like those its easy for me to put my finger down on the keyboard. I would definitely say it is very optional with the SP4, but does work well and is accurate. I don't know if I would purchase it if I started with the SP4. Probably would get that nice Aqua Marine color regular keyboard.

6. dcoplien

dcoplien Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried taking a selfie on another tablet then use the selfie to log into windows hello on your SP4? If it works, that would be the only reason I can see for a fingerprint reader.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Windows Hello uses the Infrared Camera to login, it actually maps at the subdermal distinguishing marks and can tell the difference between identical twins: