What's new

firewall and battery issue frustration!

stustaff

So I have a 4 day old SP3 with W10 installed.

not sure if they are related or not

1, firewall on means I cant access any external sites such as google! turn firewall off and I can... but then it turns itself back on and my access disappears again.

2, Power- I pressed power button once and placed surface in my bag 3 hours later I took it out and it was nice and warm NOT hot. and battery was totally gone.

I'm not actually sure I understand the power situation, so I'm coming to this thinking of it like a ipad rather than a laptop but I want to be able to put in 'standby' and in a bag and it not heat the bag or run through battery in a few hours!

is the behaviour above typical?

thanks
ps other than this I'm loving it so far.

OP
S

stustaff

image showing use

Attachments

• power snip.PNG
    power snip.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 556

malberttoo

So I have a 4 day old SP3 with W10 installed.

not sure if they are related or not

1, firewall on means I cant access any external sites such as google! turn firewall off and I can... but then it turns itself back on and my access disappears again.

2, Power- I pressed power button once and placed surface in my bag 3 hours later I took it out and it was nice and warm NOT hot. and battery was totally gone.

I'm not actually sure I understand the power situation, so I'm coming to this thinking of it like a ipad rather than a laptop but I want to be able to put in 'standby' and in a bag and it not heat the bag or run through battery in a few hours!

is the behaviour above typical?

thanks
ps other than this I'm loving it so far.

The power button on the SP3 has always been one of my biggest gripes, and has been the source of many complaints by other users as well. It bumps on practically everything, so unless you have it in a case or some manner where the button is physically protected, then yes, if you close the cover or do like you did, and then just tuck the thing away in a bag or whatever, then you can almost guarantee that your SP3 WILL get powered on in the bag. It's an annoyance but I basically shut mine completely down now before leaving the house, which is almost every day, multiple times a day. I truly hope that Sp4 has recessed/ inverted power button.

With regards to the firewall- what software have you installed leading up to this that may have modified the firewall- antivirus? Webroot? Anything like that?

OP
S

stustaff

Ah power button makes sense never even considered that!

I do have tinywall installed and that has been in learning mode.
However if I have an issue and then turn win firewall off it immediately sorts the issue. Why does windows firewall turn itself back on when I have turned it off?

malberttoo

Ah power button makes sense never even considered that!

I do have tinywall installed and that has been in learning mode.
However if I have an issue and then turn win firewall off it immediately sorts the issue. Why does windows firewall turn itself back on when I have turned it off?

Not sure what to tell you there, as I've rarely had to mess with Windows Firewall. But I have seen the issue a couple of times where a user installed something that had to modify the firewall (to allow an exception or some such) and that modification toasted or corrupted the firewall.

Other than that, I'm drawing a blank. That's a major deal though, if it went on too long with no resolution I'd do a full reset.