What's new

firmware failure

David272

Hi guys hope someone can help or assist.

I purchased a new surface pro 3 i5 128gb yesterday 19th dec.

I ran the updates and a new firmware was available. I ran them and let them install and upon restart it said firmware update failed.

I looked in device manager to see if there was any issues and on the "surface pro touch controller firmware" there is a yellow triangle.

Anyway i tried a few things suggested onlne e.g hard reset and a refresh. After refresh everything in device manager is fine but there is no "surface pro touch controller firmware" so i decided to run the updates again and again I get the same problem... the firmware doesnt update and i get a triangle. I tried manually selecting the driver via updating it and selecting it but again its doesnt work. When the surface restarts it says updating firmware and gets 1/4 of the way through the white bar and just flashes and restarts and repeats and after second attempt loads to windows.

I searched again on-line and someone suggested to select device firmware for the driver and that seems to work without a triangle on it.

Can anyone advise ?

I have tried getting to support via the surface website but when I get to step 2 to select a problem I just get a bar with blue lines constantly flashing from left to right and wont let me get to step 3.

Takhsis

Hi guys hope someone can help or assist.

I purchased a new surface pro 3 i5 128gb yesterday 19th dec.

I ran the updates and a new firmware was available. I ran them and let them install and upon restart it said firmware update failed.

I looked in device manager to see if there was any issues and on the "surface pro touch controller firmware" there is a yellow triangle.

Anyway i tried a few things suggested onlne e.g hard reset and a refresh. After refresh everything in device manager is fine but there is no "surface pro touch controller firmware" so i decided to run the updates again and again I get the same problem... the firmware doesnt update and i get a triangle. I tried manually selecting the driver via updating it and selecting it but again its doesnt work. When the surface restarts it says updating firmware and gets 1/4 of the way through the white bar and just flashes and restarts and repeats and after second attempt loads to windows.

I searched again on-line and someone suggested to select device firmware for the driver and that seems to work without a triangle on it.

Can anyone advise ?

I have tried getting to support via the surface website but when I get to step 2 to select a problem I just get a bar with blue lines constantly flashing from left to right and wont let me get to step 3.
Same issue here. In fact I had two pro 3 units do exactly the same thing. One I had to return because the micro SD slot didn't work. S/N's of the two unit were quite far apart (if they use a standard numbering system) so leads me to believe the update is the issue. I worked with tech support for over two hours yesterday and the issue did not get resolved. Last thing I was asked to do was a complete wipe and start over. I neglected to comply as I had only just un-boxed the unit 12/27/2014. I am waiting for the techs to look it over and reply. Since now I know I am not the only one out there to have the problem I'll pester them to resolve the issue. Can I ask if you have a Canadian unit or other?

OP
D

David272

Its a uk unit but it seens lije a specific revision of the touchpen that is the issue. I phoned surface and they agreed and seemed there is an issue on the revision. I just took it back to shop and got it replaced and everything is working fine now :)

Its and excellent piece of kit but i still think price is still high at £749

Takhsis

Its a uk unit but it seens lije a specific revision of the touchpen that is the issue. I phoned surface and they agreed and seemed there is an issue on the revision. I just took it back to shop and got it replaced and everything is working fine now :)

Its and excellent piece of kit but i still think price is still high at £749
Just the pen, or the whole unit?