firmware failure

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Help' started by David272, Dec 20, 2014.

1. David272

David272 New Member

Hi guys hope someone can help or assist.

I purchased a new surface pro 3 i5 128gb yesterday 19th dec.

I ran the updates and a new firmware was available. I ran them and let them install and upon restart it said firmware update failed.

I looked in device manager to see if there was any issues and on the "surface pro touch controller firmware" there is a yellow triangle.

Anyway i tried a few things suggested onlne e.g hard reset and a refresh. After refresh everything in device manager is fine but there is no "surface pro touch controller firmware" so i decided to run the updates again and again I get the same problem... the firmware doesnt update and i get a triangle. I tried manually selecting the driver via updating it and selecting it but again its doesnt work. When the surface restarts it says updating firmware and gets 1/4 of the way through the white bar and just flashes and restarts and repeats and after second attempt loads to windows.

I searched again on-line and someone suggested to select device firmware for the driver and that seems to work without a triangle on it.

Can anyone advise ?

I have tried getting to support via the surface website but when I get to step 2 to select a problem I just get a bar with blue lines constantly flashing from left to right and wont let me get to step 3.

2. Takhsis

Takhsis New Member

Same issue here. In fact I had two pro 3 units do exactly the same thing. One I had to return because the micro SD slot didn't work. S/N's of the two unit were quite far apart (if they use a standard numbering system) so leads me to believe the update is the issue. I worked with tech support for over two hours yesterday and the issue did not get resolved. Last thing I was asked to do was a complete wipe and start over. I neglected to comply as I had only just un-boxed the unit 12/27/2014. I am waiting for the techs to look it over and reply. Since now I know I am not the only one out there to have the problem I'll pester them to resolve the issue. Can I ask if you have a Canadian unit or other?

3. David272

David272 New Member

Its a uk unit but it seens lije a specific revision of the touchpen that is the issue. I phoned surface and they agreed and seemed there is an issue on the revision. I just took it back to shop and got it replaced and everything is working fine now :)

Its and excellent piece of kit but i still think price is still high at £749

4. Takhsis

Takhsis New Member

Just the pen, or the whole unit?

5. David272

David272 New Member

Whole unit as the hardware inside that controls the pen was at fault. If the firmware doesnt install then you cant use surface app to adjust pen settings

6. Takhsis

Takhsis New Member

Wow, thanks for that, appreciate the information.