What's new

Firmware Release Day Results Here

MickeyLittle

I figured it would be good to have 1 spot to place noticed improvements/changes. Come on Microsoft the good times roll.

Per Jeff before installing this or any Firmware Update (Don't Doubt This Info)

1) Attach your power cord
2) Attach your type cover or touch cover keyboard if you have one

Also Microsoft is good for pushing out their firmware updates at around 9:00AM PST

A big thanks goes out to Jeff for this info as I go ahead and attach my power cord. Keyboard is already attached. Come on Microsoft!

Mennogreg spotted an update for us all at ZDnet. Thanks Buddy! Here is the link: 1:40PM PST

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-issues-fix-for-a-surface-pro-firmware-glitch-7000025162/

And the Saga continues... Per macmee we now get word that the firmware update is coming tomorrow 01/15/2014... So don't give up just yet!

Here we sit with another rumor compliments from Knuck111 from last night 1/16 as follows:

"Just got off the phone with a Microsoft rep. Firmware update definitely coming out tomorrow. Little sceptical though. It was a pre-recorded message"

So maybe today 1/17!

Last edited:
OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Also when anybody gets there please list what part of the country/world you are in just in case Microsoft rolls this out regionally.

While we are waiting for this update, would one of our forum experts chime in and let others like myself know if we should perform this firmware update with or without our keyboard attached? Also does it matter if we are running on battery or the power cord?

Thanks.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Anytime a Firmware is released, patch with the keyboard attached and plugged-in....

Patches are staged for release around 5 PM UTC (9 AM PST) and are replicated globally to the Distribution Points. we have around 60 minutes as of this posting...

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Anytime a Firmware is released, patch with the keyboard attached and plugged-in....

Patches are staged for release around 5 PM UTC (9 AM PST) and are replicated globally to the Distribution Points. we have around 60 minutes as of this posting...

Just the expert and the answers that I was looking for... Thanks Jeff. If you don't mind I will add some of your info to the beginning post?

richhs

Anyone else get pushed the 10/24/2013 Hardware update earlier this morning?

Thanks for the info Jeff!

Booch

For what it's worth, before updating on 12-10, I disconnected my type 2 keyboard. I also had my sp2 unplugged. I'm not suggesting anyone does the same, but I've not experienced any of the various issues some have complained of.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

For what it's worth, before updating on 12-10, I disconnected my type 2 keyboard. I also had my sp2 unplugged. I'm not suggesting anyone does the same, but I've not experienced any of the various issues some have complained of.

Sorry but I'm going to stick with Jeff's advice here. I know what you're saying but I think Microsoft just had a bad lemon they pushed out and if it was just related to people having their power cords/keyboards plugged in they wouldn't have pulled it. Just my opinion.

Booch

No sorry's needed. Like I said, I wasn't suggesting this should be 'the way'. It was merely what I did and how it turned out. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

The reason I say to have the keyboard plugged-in is if the Firmware includes any updated for the Covers it won't install that part if unattached, any update to the low level firmware I always plug it in so that it doesn't try to Sleep during the install.