What's new

Firmware Release Day Results Here

eelpout

Well, this a bit troubling. I've never had sleep problems before (SP2 w/4300u). Today after installing all the KB's, mine doesn't want to go to sleep on its own anymore. It does if I select it from the Power menu though.

macmee reported a little while ago that he talked to Microsoft Support tonight and was told that the firmware update will come out tomorrow so hopefully it will fix whatever is going on with yours too.

I rolled everything back and timed sleep is still screwed. That's really odd because supposedly 1/14's releases weren't hardware related, so I'm not sure how whatever they broke was not undone.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I've had 2-3 issues myself this morning but the jury is still out on these. 1) When I opened up IE (Metro) this morning, it had sort of reset as only 1 tab was open. When I opened a 2nd tab, ESPN, it didn't remember my sign in information. I thought that to be strange. 2) I have some slight screen dimming with 1 application, To Do Prime. It isn't constant but it is there.

bertopl

it's probably common knowlege on a board like this but I discovered win 8 doesnt have system restore enabled by default so no way for me to easily roll back. :(

jollywombat

it's probably common knowlege on a board like this but I discovered win 8 doesnt have system restore enabled by default so no way for me to easily roll back. :(

Every install I have done so far of windows 8 on machines has had system restore enabled by default, same with Windows 7. The surfaces have this turned on by default as well, so I am surprised that you are seeing this turned off. Certain "system optimization utilities"/crapware do turn this off however sometimes, did you have anything like that?

Did you experience issues with yesterdays update that you need to roll back? Curious as it seems to be hit or miss with some issues yesterday with the windows updates.

bertopl

yup, first update that I've had problems with which I posted about in this thread. I do have revo uninstaller on my machine that I know does a restore point before an uninstall is performed. unfortunately I havent uninstalled any SW through revo for a bit so my last restore point is pretty old. I did read elsewhere about win 8 not having system restore enabled. I thought if it was on the internet, it has to be true, right? :)