What's new

Firmware Update 2 Dec

AndyWear

So I keep noticing new problems with the update. I can no longer sign in using touch screen. My password had also changed to the hotmail account password, instead of the computer password. When using using PIN sign in, theres no enter button to finish signing in....

Hey guys,

For me the update has not fixed much really.
It did remove the DD BSOD but it still keeps freezing for some seconds even a bit longer at times. No flickering but I suspect that it still emcounters issues it just not gives you the notification anymore.

Nuspieds

It's been a few days for me and no still no occurrences of my usual external monitor issues.

The sleep issues remain, of course, and wake-from-sleep still disables output to one or more of my external monitors and/or messes up the text scaling. For the disabled screens, I just power off and then on again, which is a welcomed change from the gymnastics I had to perform in the past; if the text scaling is messed up, though, I have no choice but to logout and then login again.

Last edited:

bamaster

Since the update I've had two BSODs. They happened when I boot up. I rarely just close the lid and put it to sleep. I usually shut it down.

For some reason when I just close the lid, the fans will kick on sometimes and the battery is killed. So no more sleeping. Shutting down is fast and boot up is fast, too.

I never had a BSOD until this update. :(

BearFlag

I get the BSOD when I press the screen release button immediately after bootup. If I wait 20 sec and then release the screen, I don't get it but if I release the screen right after bootup I get the BSOD with an internal power failure message.

mcsenerd

One of the only "big" things I've noted is that my top button on my pen just quit working all together. All writing functions work just fine, but no matter what I try, the top button does nothing... No screen caps, no Cortana, no OneNote trigger...etc. I've tried repairing it, removing the battery, etc... Even trying to get the dang thing repaired was difficult, so I think it's the pen and unrelated to the update itself (MS has a new one heading my way though...)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It seems the update is more of a wound patch. Errors still occur, freeze still happens, but Windows suppresses letting the user know about it. Under the patch, the would still bleeds.

I'm confident Microsoft I'll eventually get it right. Sales to big businesses depends upon it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Intel is struggling in providing the correct Power Management Drivers for their new silicon to the OEM/ODMs. The Skylake SoCs are not able to fully enter into S0iX and the slightest Wake Event is causing it to come out of Connected Standby and then quite often it will not go back into S0iX.

This effects the whole system from Video, Disk, Network, etc.

ABswl13

Since getting the December 2nd firmware update, I'm getting more BSOD and more automatic and unwarranted shifting from desktop mode to tablet mode even though I still have the keyboard dock connected. Does anyone know why either might be occurring more frequently post update? The display driver crashes have been greatly reduced since the update (knock on wood), so that's good. But, the other problems listed above seem to have gotten worse since the December 2nd hardware update....

bangsters

so far have not had any issues on mine. Ever since I had my SB, I had one occurrence of losing mouse pointer (today though). I had some BSODs which were from using beta drivers, and after doing a reinstall haven't had any issues at all.

Niterider4

The way I see it, there are only two possibilities. Either Microsoft tested the SB before release and knew it was utterly not ready for sale to customers, or Microsoft failed to properly test the SB before release and thus had no clue it was basically a POS at the point of release. Either way Microsoft screwed the pooch on this one and ought to take responsibility.

Wayne Orwig

The way I see it, there are only two possibilities. Either Microsoft tested the SB before release and knew it was utterly not ready for sale to customers, or Microsoft failed to properly test the SB before release and thus had no clue it was basically a POS at the point of release. Either way Microsoft screwed the pooch on this one and ought to take responsibility.

Been there, done that. If a big company plans to release something on date XX/YY/ZZZZ , and the engineers let them know that it is not passing, it doesn't matter much. Especially in this case, the hardware wasn't so much an issue, they know it was firmware or software, and it could be patched later. Sales said to stick with the schedule and ship it, fix it later.

The patches keep improving mine. It has two glitches yet that annoy me. Occasionally when it wakes up it has scrambled my desktop icons. And it would often get very hot when in 'sleep' mode. That would kill the battery if not for AC. I did some power tweaks that may have helped that though.