What's new

Firmware update failure

rainyman1984

Hi everyone,

My surface book received an update for touch firmware and when it restarts to install the firmware I see that it tries to install the new firmware 2 times. but each time it fails and the SB get restarted. The touch screen on my SB has stopped working since January 2018, and I think if I install this new firmware maybe it gets to work. Is there any solution for that?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, @rainyman1984

An obvious question: Have you tried a clean install of Windows 10, or a Reset (either 'Keep my files' or 'Erase everything')? If all your documents are saved to OneDrive, you can retrieve them back after the re-install.

I am asking, because if the touchscreen is not working, it is likely that Windows is slightly corrupted, and a firmware update would not help.

OP
R

rainyman1984

Thanks for your reply,
Yes I did every solution suggested by Microsoft and there was no success for me. The last time I fully wiped using recovery image was last week.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am suspecting a dirty connector between your keyboard and Surface Book. Blow out / clean / carefully swab the male and female connectors.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I had this once - Turned out to be a sliver of vinyl skin. Even after removing the sliver, it left behind a trace of adhesive. Alcohol on a swab cleaned it, and I got my touchscreen back immediately.

OP
R

rainyman1984

Which part did you clean? Did you detach tablet and clean the female port on it or the male ones on the keyboard part? And did you lose touch even when using only the tablet?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I only lost touch when using the keyboard base, and when the screen was directly connected to the blade power supply. I cleaned both the male and female connectors.

When swabbing, use a bright light (or cellphone LED close to your work) to make sure no cotton fibers are left behind.

OP
R

rainyman1984

So I cleaned every part thoroughly but it didn't solve the problem, and I should add that I have this touch problem in every situation (attached or detached)...
Anyways thanks for your help.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that.

So, yes, a firmware update may bring it back to life.

Try to capture photos of the error.