What's new

Firmware Update on 5/19/15

jonypx09

Yes, I get two full-screen flashes, mid-intensity grey, one at the start of boot (more or less) and one just before the desktop and the user logon screen is shown. Microsoft had done such a nice job before -- deep black, no flash, good looking. Shame their testing now lets this through.

Hopefully, the next firmware update fixes this issue. Other than that, this update brought great performance improvements.

WoodSurface

Has anyone experienced the trackpad getting more sensitive to touch after the firmware update? It seems to unintentionally select things more often than it use to.

WW

VickiFL

Anyone notice a brief flash during bootup?

Yes! I almost thought my SP3 was broken because it took forever to boot up before I got that flash. Then I got a different, weird screen. It's hard to even explain. Weird boxes on different parts of the screen. It almost reminded me of Win 3.1.

Anyway, it really freaked me out. I'm happy to know it wasn't just me.

tony8154

Does anyone use their docking stations to charge their phones? After the firmware update, my phone wont charge unless the surface is on.

Bummer.

Tsurugaya

Sitting docked the black Surface screen just sat there, no turning dots. I did the 30 second close down but nothing changed. Dud the volume rocker thing, but the same result. Finally I undocked it and then it would boot as it should. Weird!

vet_usmc

When I try to install this using any windows update method, it downloads, preps, installs, then reboots. And, then doesn't update to the new firmware. Doesn't show as a failure in the history either. When I run the update again, it tells me I have the May firmware update to be installed again. Anyone else have this issue?

Had the same problem. Had to retry the download 4 times before it actually worked, rebooted and it installed the update.

MadCruzer

We had one person at work using daisy chained monitors that needed to reset the display settings after this update, otherwise all is well.

kundas1

ungh! I feel now with these updates I find my wifi is getting worse and worse now, I never EVER had trouble with my wifi connecting to anything/anywhere and now I find it hard to connect to my Lumia 1520 let alone some routers... it takes so long now for my SP3 to connect to my router and my GF's router also....