What's new

Firmware updates slowly being rolled out???

mfgillia

Just last night Windows Update said it needed to install updates. When I checked it was tone 7/23 update again.....I already had that update installed, yet it installs again and asks me to reboot my device. So weird.

Why not just install the latest firmware directly?

mfgillia

I installed the latest firmware manually. I also have the Win 10 cumulative update. Now every time I run Windows update, it tries to install 7/23/15 hardware update, and fails. hmmm

Ah, too bad. So you installed both the new surface 3 firmware dated Nov. 9th (Download Surface 3 Wi-Fi from Official Microsoft Download Center) and the cumulative Windows 10 update (Threshold 2 / the November update) and the problem still exists.

By the way, I just checked my update history and noticed that today it also installed an update dated 7/23/15 called system hardware update. Mine installed successfully.

DALEcz

mfgillia - when it installed the 7/23/15 system hardware update - didn't it install the older drivers (over those from Nov. 9th) again?
Btw. I didn't install the Nov. 9th firmware yet and yesterday I noticed the 7/23/15 hardware update also failed... Moreover I tried to install the Win10 update, and it failed as well (it got stuck at 40% of the system update (23% of installing new files) - I let it run overnight, but nothing changed so I had to do hard restart... I will try again today)

Zippy0n

DALEcz mine got stuck updating windows 10 threshold 2 at 40%/23% - this was because I have my SD card installed, after I removed it, it installed fine.

DALEcz

Zippy0n - I just read it somewhere on microsoft forum as well - I will try it immediately after I get home.
Btw. any noticeable changes?

mfgillia

mfgillia - when it installed the 7/23/15 system hardware update - didn't it install the older drivers (over those from Nov. 9th) again?
Btw. I didn't install the Nov. 9th firmware yet and yesterday I noticed the 7/23/15 hardware update also failed... Moreover I tried to install the Win10 update, and it failed as well (it got stuck at 40% of the system update (23% of installing new files) - I let it run overnight, but nothing changed so I had to do hard restart... I will try again today)

I'll try to check later today but I don't think the July 23rd system hardware update replaced the new November 9th firmware. The size of the firmware update was much larger and contained a number of files that can be viewed in the zip file version. Both installed fine. It does appear I'm getting an additional 1-2 hours of battery life so pretty happy overall.

Zippy0n

Just the start menu for me. Can be enlarged with 4 tiles across. Edge now opens with a full blue screen initially fir about .3 second. Black menu bars on start menu - nothing ground breaking

khangozzy

Except sdcard bug, I feel that TH2 run is a little bit more fast and less battery drain while sleeping.
I also have 23/7 fw update after installed TH2 & Nov. fw package, it only downgraded the Surface Touch Controller Firmware to old version.

Edit: the Nov fw pack actually did not downgrad the Touch fw.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Except sdcard bug, I feel that TH2 run is a little bit more fast and less battery drain while sleeping.
I also have 23/7 fw update after installed TH2 & Nov. fw package, it only downgraded the Surface Touch Controller Firmware to old version.

I have noticed the battery drain being less too.

DALEcz

So I had a similar experience - after taking the SD card out, the update finished succesfully. Then I installed the new Nov 9th drivers and then the WU found the 7/23/15 hardware update and installed it...
Khangozzy - how do you know it downgraded only the Surface Touch Controller Firmware? Did you check the versions of all the drivers? (still.. it's not very good thing to have older drivers there :) )
Less battery drain - that's great news! I was not able to see it yet, but hopefully I will.

Btw. Did you notice that the Nov 9th zip file is much bigger than the msi file? Any idea why is it like that? (e.g. zip file contains all drivers, but the msi files only new ones?)

One more thing: after the upgrades I noticed that hibernation is available (powercfg /a; and also when changing the powerplans) - it was not listed (possible to select) before the upgrade - does it mean the upgrade turned the HyperV on? (other option is the S0 state - is it the connected standby/InstantGo state?)