What's new

First couple of "to do's"

Fastrucken

So just received my 512 SP2 today and was looking for a thread that gave suggestions on what to do first and couldn't find any .... So should I do a HDD image and what is the best way to do that. Restore points? Maybe some must have programs or any various tune ups I should do.

thanks
Graham

Ruffles

I use Macruim Reflect to create my images. I wouldn't bother with the base state since you can always restore to that but after you get your apps on it the way you want, I'd defiantly create an image.

oion

So just received my 512 SP2 today and was looking for a thread that gave suggestions on what to do first and couldn't find any .... So should I do a HDD image and what is the best way to do that. Restore points? Maybe some must have programs or any various tune ups I should do.

thanks
Graham

Congratulations on that beast. The first thing you should do (after the setup, natch) is create a bootable USB recovery drive.
Create a USB recovery drive for Microsoft Surface | Free up Surface storage space

All new Surfaces already have a factory recovery image on the SDD (it's not an HDD), but it's hidden from normal view. Given how much space you have on your SSD, you probably don't need to delete the actual recovery partition after creating the bootable USB drive. Restore points are a natural thing in Windows. You should consider File History as well.

Set up a drive for File History - Microsoft Windows Help
Restore files or folders using File History - Microsoft Windows Help

More discussion: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/6442-best-backup-solution.html (Windows 8.1 has its own drive imaging service.)

Oh yeah. And register your device. See sig. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10837

Ninite is what I use whenever I install Windows or Linux. I try to keep my OS as clean as possible and so I use virtual machines to run any software I don't want cluttering up my host system.

OP
F

Fastrucken

To be honest I'm still contemplating whether or not to return it and get the 256 gig. I'm not sure the up charge for the extra space is worth it and I can buy some accessories and not have the wife complain....

Oion... Thanks for the correction I know it's a ssd but hdd is so ingrained in my vocabulary it's hard not to say sometimes....

oion

To be honest I'm still contemplating whether or not to return it and get the 256 gig. I'm not sure the up charge for the extra space is worth it and I can buy some accessories and not have the wife complain....

Oion... Thanks for the correction I know it's a ssd but hdd is so ingrained in my vocabulary it's hard not to say sometimes....

Depends on what you need (lots of photo/video editing?), but considering you can expand storage three different ways (microSD/USB external/Skydrive), I personally don't think it's worth it. The 8GB RAM is a real difference, though.