What's new

First time docking, problems with Bluetooth mouse!

CrippsCorner

So I docked my new Surface Pro tonight to the exact same setup I had on my original one.

Mouse is jerky every now and then, very annoying! Once it stopped completely for about 15 seconds. I've tried both 2.4GHz & 5GHz networks which are both the same.

I had this on my original but changing over to 5GHz fixed it, this time it hasn't :( it's a Sculpt Comfort Mouse. Any ideas? I cannot live with it like this... almost feel like going back to my old Surface!

Brandy

Try running the troubleshooter. My BT keyboard stopped working and mouse erratic after 1703 update. Search the problem and first suggestion was to run the troubleshooter... surprise it fixed it ;)

I have a Surface Pro 1, still working good.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

How do I get to the troubleshooter? Sorry I don't have it in front of me at the moment and am not quite sure what you mean.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Heh...heh - for me the troubleshooter tried to reset and left the Bluetooth Radio turned off :)

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling - no change. Am now in talks with Surface Support though their first suggestion was trying a different mouse! I don't have another Bluetooth one and the one I'm using now has been working fine on my old Surface for years now. I do have other Bluetooth devices connected though, such as my audio connection which is working fine without glitching.

I think tonight I'm going to try tethering my Wi-Fi over 4G and seeing if it makes a difference.

convergent

That's a bummer you are having a problem with your mouse. I assume you've tried the obvious like fresh batteries and unpairing/pairing again? Have you also tried using it in a different physical location in your house/office. I had a mouse that would stop working sometimes and I'd move it 6" to a different spot on my desk and it would start working again. I just got the new Surface Arc mouse, which is great, and its working fine with the nSP.

BubbaUK

This may sound stupid, but it caught me out for a long time ... make sure you've got any other devices you've used with that mouse turned off, even if they are in another room! I once couldn't figure out why my BT mouse would sometimes pair with my laptop or not, turned out sometimes it was pairing with the old laptop in another room instead of the laptop it was next too. Only found out when my better half started yelling from the other room about a virus on the older laptop - in fact it was me flapping the mouse about about, trying to get the mouse paired with my laptop. Doh!

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Thanks yeah I haven't had my old Surface turned on since I got the new one though! So sadly it's not that.

Tried re-pairing.
Tried stopping/starting the service.
Tried not using Wi-Fi at the same time.

It's so subtle but really frustrating! I also find when I start to move the mouse it lags for like half a second before moving.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Lots of problems with this machine! :confused:

As well as the above, there's a Wi-Fi problem... it takes ages to connect and when it does it won't always give me 'full access' and even when it is properly connected the download speeds are about 25% of what I get from my other devices! Even compared to my original Surface Pro sitting right next to it.

I also have the light bleed problem many others have mentioned (on Reddit & Windows Central)

So yeah, this one's going back. Hopefully No.2 will be better!

Zero problems with the Surface Pro here with Sculp Comfort mouse, docked (the older Surface Pro 3 Dock if that makes a difference) or not. Never had a WiFi or Bluetooth dying on me.

Happy to report that I do not have the backlight bleed on the edge!