What's new

Fitting the pen battery

malberttoo

Somebody please slap my wrist because I threw mine away. Now I'll have to remember where those little button batteries are.

Dang I threw mine away too. :(

Needs a "Do not remove under penalty of law" warning thingy on the pen somewhere...

TeknoBlast

pen.png

BillJ

I actually had to replace the 2 little #319 batteries; the paper label was destroyed by unscrewing the battery sleeve in the pen top. The first battery came out fine, but there are 2 tiny access holes in the sides of the sleeve that I had to poke a needle into, to get the second little battery out. Replacements cost about $4 apiece! It is cheaper to buy a new HTC N-trig replacement pen than to buy new batteries. Even so, I have come to depend on the "double click to snip" feature with the pen; maybe I can buy these little rascals at wholesale...

ipaq_101

I actually had to replace the 2 little #319 batteries; the paper label was destroyed by unscrewing the battery sleeve in the pen top. The first battery came out fine, but there are 2 tiny access holes in the sides of the sleeve that I had to poke a needle into, to get the second little battery out. Replacements cost about $4 apiece! It is cheaper to buy a new HTC N-trig replacement pen than to buy new batteries. Even so, I have come to depend on the "double click to snip" feature with the pen; maybe I can buy these little rascals at wholesale...

I have the HTC pen and I can tell you that I love the one click one note and double click so much that I bought an extra MS pen.

In any case, the HTC pen for $10 is a bargain and a teriffic backup.

bluegrass

Replacements cost about $4 apiece! It is cheaper to buy a new HTC N-trig replacement pen than to buy new batteries. Even so, I have come to depend on the "double click to snip" feature with the pen; maybe I can buy these little rascals at wholesale...
The problem with replacing the MS pen with the HTC pen is you lose the Bluetooth capability for screen grab & Onenote but I will tell you I like & use the HTC pen a lot. BTW, I just looked on Amazon, where I shop for just about everything, & the 319 batteries can be purchased for less then $1.

Thanks for the info on removing the button batteries. The pen must have been stored in such a way the purple button on the top must have been activated. These batteries should last over a year in most cases.

jace88

Sorry a total newbie here with a Surface 3 (and just bought the pen) but wanted to clarify/confirm that the label is fine to be left inside the top of the pen, and the small button batteries are really only for the click at the top of the pen.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry a total newbie here with a Surface 3 (and just bought the pen) but wanted to clarify/confirm that the label is fine to be left inside the top of the pen, and the small button batteries are really only for the click at the top of the pen.

Label can be left in for future reference, or just pulled out. Doesn't effect the usage. and yes, the watch batteries are purely for the Bluetooth capability of the purple button. The AAAA battery is in charge of inking.

Johnny365

Batteries Plus + Bulbs has them for like $3 something. They only come in a 4 pack so I have 3 extra AAAA batteries that I'll probably NEVER use.