What's new

Floppy Magnet?

mmoran27

My type cover seems to detach from the screen. When I lift it flops down. This is the angled position.

It wasn't like that when I got it. Is it possible the magnets are losing attraction? Is this a problem in SP or type cover?

Last edited:

kundas1

make sure your connectors are clean and no debris, mine would do that when something was stuck in it...

daniielrp

My type cover seems to detach from the screen. When I lift it flops down. This is the angled position.

It wasn't like that when I got it. Is it possible the magnets are losing attraction? Is this a problem in SP or type cover?
Mine has done that since day one - tbh I just assumed the magnet was not strong enough. It makes a lot of sense really as when it is in that position and you lift it will swing the keyboard down and that is obviously more weight than the magnet can handle.

Liam2349

Are you saying that when the cover is attached to the bezel, and you lift the Surface, the cover detaches from the bezel, but remains attached to the bottom of the Surface?

bluegrass

I think the Op is getting confused about how the magnet bis suppose to work. I t is suppose to stay attached after you set the kickstand up and attach the keyboard to the bezel to type. if it won't stay attached for typing then you should return it & get a replacement. Any time other than when you have it attached to type, I would say detaching fro the bezel is fair game.

malberttoo

Both magnets- the ones that actually attach the TypeCover to the bottom of the surface, and the long strip that attaches along near the bottom edge of the screen and angles the keyboard- should attach firmly.

EDIT-- see my post below...

Last edited:

daniielrp

Both magnets- the ones that actually attach the TypeCover to the bottom of the surface, and the long strip that attaches along near the bottom edge of the screen and angles the keyboard- should attach firmly.

Neither one should "very easily" or "just fall" off, if so your TypeCover is defective and you should get it replaced.

Is this the case with yours? Can you test?

So have it on your lap/table with the 2nd magnet folded on to the bezel.
Then grab the surface by the top bezel and lift straight up high enough so the entire unit is off the desk.
Keyboard will naturally flip down, and the weight should pull the keyboard away from the bezel. If yours doesn't then I'd be impressed with the magnetic power.

kundas1

^^^ yes both my keyboards have done this, I have 2 and they exactly do the same thing what daniielrp is saying...

malberttoo

Is this the case with yours? Can you test?

So have it on your lap/table with the 2nd magnet folded on to the bezel.
Then grab the surface by the top bezel and lift straight up high enough so the entire unit is off the desk.
Keyboard will naturally flip down, and the weight should pull the keyboard away from the bezel. If yours doesn't then I'd be impressed with the magnetic power.

Ok so apparently mine is the exception rather than the rule. If I just lift it up, the keyboard stays on the bezel. If I jerk the SP3 then yes it will come off the bezel, but still stay attached to the SP3 itself.

I edited my post above....

IMAG0536.jpg

daniielrp

Wow that is good, as soon as mine get's to that position the bezel magnet bit falls straight off. Bottom connector one is fine, but the bezel seems nowhere near strong enough to do the same as yours. Maybe the purple one is stronger :)