What's new

Poll For those keeping their Surface Pro 3 which accessories are you updating?

Which accessories are you updating for your Surface pro 3?

• Type cover

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Pen

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Dock

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • None

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still not decide on whether I'll upgrade, but the dock looks great! Pen and keyboard dint interest me in the slightest. The current ones still work absolutely great.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep nothing wrong with the way the current ones work but I do like the idea of the new trackpad and having some distance between the keys on the new keyboard. I can type no problem on the current type cover but if my fingers are just slightly misaligned I hit more than one key sometimes and then go "off piste" if I dont' realise (I'm a touch typer and often type without looking at either keyboard or screen!). So the new keyboard layout should help with that.

As for the pen - well I like my art - or at least doodling and the new tips sound great. Not sure if the 1024 levels will exist on the SP3, but anyhow I was thinking I needed a new pen tip anyway as mine was getting "frayed" but I'll get a new pen instead :)

Dock certainly looks interesting but I dont' really need it.

vxm

To me Type Cover looks like good investment- I like bigger touchpad and spaces between keys, as more often than not, I'm pressing two at a time. Also, I will have that bit less to buy with new SP4.

Pen is tricky part: according to this blog- Surface Pro Artist SP4 Pen will not have 1024 levels of sensitivity on SP3, although it is still great improvement in line smoothness and general feel. If I planned on keeping SP3 longer (perhaps even until SP5 is announced, as I don't have any problems with my unit and I'm happy with it's performance), then I'd buy SP4 Pen now. Second scenario is me buying SP4 early next year- additional Pen isn't necessary then, I'm quite ok with older Pen model :)

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah - I have no plans to upgrade to the SP4. Sure it does look like a great device and a good update in tech etc but as I've never found my SP3 lacking in any way it's not necessary for me. I hope the SP5 remains compatible with SP4 accessories!

Oh and my husband can use my old pen with his Surface 3... Win win.

Johnny365

I don't plan on upgrading. I just got it 6-7 months ago and don't upgrade every year, like I do cell phones. These are computers, not throwaway devices

Grumpy2

Well, my SP3, keyboard and dock are still under warranty until the end of 2016 so no I will not be updating anything. Will leave things as they are until the warranty runs out. As they say "if it ain't broke why fix it."

Johnny365

I didn't like the SP3-specific dock, but really like the SP4 (compatible with SP3) version and may get it when it drops down in price a bit.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't plan on upgrading. I just got it 6-7 months ago and don't upgrade every year, like I do cell phones. These are computers, not throwaway devices

Why are phones throw away? My phone cost me just as much as my sp3.

rikracer

I think I will be going for the keyboard, probably in a different color than dark blue. I may consider the pen if it proves to be a real upgrade for the SP3.