What's new

For Thunderbolt and Lightning, USB-C is very, very frightening

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
RefX: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8181551/thunderbolt-lightning-usb-type-c-new-macbook?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews.

"The future, at least for mainstream consumers, is easy and convenient like USB instead of superpowered but expensive like Thunderbolt".

The headline was just too good... however this is related to issues with USB on future Surfaces as well as all computers.

Portless or only USB Type-C we will be
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.

Open your eyes,
Look up to the skies and see...

I see a little silhouetto of a Type-C USB,
Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?
Thunderbolt and lightning,
Very, very frightening to me.

The article is a good read.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
More on the USB 3? Port. ( maybe that should say Moron USB 3.1 port)

It seems at this early (cough*) stage in the life or USB 3.1 everything is not rosy in USB-land and there are troubles with achieving 10gbps and compatibly issues with down level (USB 3.0, 2.0, etc) devices.

*It must be incredibly challenging to create a "Standard" with the huge multi corporation teams all working on it (find the USB 3.1 spec and note the pages of team members listed) the unfortunate result being *problems* implementing it. We saw the same with DisplayPort, you guys have to get your act together. Frankly this is just a horrible result for which there is no excuse.

PC World article says the MacBook has a USB 3.1 port but it's currently only operating at USB 3.0 5ghz speed but will increase later. :rolleyes: This is questionable because if the chipset requires modification to achieve 10gbps and compatibility that would mean a MacBook recall unless the software can be tweaked enough to compensate. Either way it's suboptimal.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2895...about-the-usb-31-port-in-the-new-macbook.html

We will see how this plays out... and IF the USB engineers can right the ship soon before this turns into an ugly consumer nightmare.

I really want the SP4 to have USB 3.1 so I'm hoping they move fast to iron out the issues. There's no adding it later you have to include it now or go without forever on these devices.