What's new

Four months with Surface Pro X

mobilelawyer

Bought mine new in March from Woot for $647.99 - 16/256, and still enjoy it. Microsoft Office is installed along with every native ARM64 app I could find.

For my use, it is working well. Battery life is decent. I have not even tried to use Chrome under emulation, and Edge and Firefox have served me just fine.

If you know this device's limitations, its strengths may outweigh the shortcomings depending on your needs. Light and bright - just right for my needs.

Plantje

May I ask what do you use it for? My Surface Pro 2017 Advanced LTE died on me and I am looking for a replacement. I don't need the latest and greatest, so I am looking at a Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 8 or Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (standard, plus or ultra)

OP
M

mobilelawyer

May I ask what do you use it for? My Surface Pro 2017 Advanced LTE died on me and I am looking for a replacement. I don't need the latest and greatest, so I am looking at a Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 8 or Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 (standard, plus or ultra)
My apologies for replying so late. I still use this surface for work during travel. Microsoft Office apps, Edge and Firefox for browsing. That is it. No games. No photo- video editing. It gets the job done and is easy to carry with me. Battery life is reasonable, but not exceptional. I really like the LTE WWAN for backup use if wifi is not available. Keeping fingers crossed that the next Surface release brings ARM to the forefront. Kind of jacked to try the coming Chrome ARM release on the X, though!

Plantje

No worries..... in the meantime I came across a nice Galaxy Tab S9+ deal with 5G, 256GB storage and 12GB of RAM. I am really fond of it. Never thought I'd appreciate battery life this much. But charging it to 85% to preserve the battery is treating me very well!

There are some downsides though.... The Office mobile apps are not comparable with the Office apps on Windows! This is in general not an issue, but last Friday for example I wanted to work on a Powerpoint deck. It is basically impossible, The only thing you can use this for is for presenting a powerpoint presentation. That's it!
Another thing: on my SP I was custom to use Microsoft Teams PWA and it was treating me well. The huge advantage of PWAs is that you can run multiple instances parallel. The advantage of Android is that I can add it to our company profile and I can use the normal app.
However, the Edge version on Android is quite different from the desktop version. Yes, you can switch Edge to "desktop site", but it is still different. For one: I cannot load Microsoft Teams on Edge on Android.... it just continues to load and never really shows.
And what's even worse: I have Homey home automation with advanced flows and on the Android version of Edge I cannot create these advanced flows. That really sucks.

And the last one is more of a size issue. I really thought I wanted the S9+, but I notice I am mostly using it in laptop form. Exactly like I did with my Surface Pro. Although it is way lighter than a Surface Pro! Had I gone for the S9, I think I would use it more like a regular tablet.