What's new

Free up 6.5 GB space after 8.1 installation...

mitchellvii

After upgrading to 8.1 you may notice that you have a rather HUGE file called "Windows.old" on your C: Drive. It's all your old Windows Files (hence the catchy name). You can't just delete it, but you can get rid of it using Disk Cleanup.

Just enter "Disk Cleanup" in the Search Bar on the Start Page. Open the app and click "Clean System Files" at the bottom of the dialog box. Then select "Clean old Windows files..."

Boom, just like that you've freed up 4.5 GB.

** Want another 2 GB free? Turn off Hibernation Mode using the method described here:

1) Open Command Prompt (as Administrator - right click)
2) Type powercfg -h off and hit enter.

Done.

That's a total of 6.5 GB free space :)

Ur welcome.

** P.S., I did this and everything runs fine so I suppose it is safe. Of course, you break things it's on you.

Last edited:

wilbur4321

After upgrading to 8.1 you may notice that you have a rather HUGE file called "Windows.old" on your C: Drive. It's all your old Windows Files (hence the catchy name). You can't just delete it, but you can get rid of it using Disk Cleanup.

Just enter "Disk Cleanup" in the Search Bar on the Start Page. Open the app and click "Clean System Files" at the bottom of the dialog box. Then select "Clean old Windows files..."

Boom, just like that you've freed up 4.5 GB.

** Want another 2 GB free? Turn off Hibernation Mode using the method described here:

1) Open Command Prompt (as Administrator - right click)
2) Type powercfg -h off and hit enter.

Done.

That's a total of 6.5 GB free space :)

Ur welcome.

** P.S., I did this and everything runs fine so I suppose it is safe. Of course, you break things it's on you.

I've been told that windows.old will get cleaned up by itself in the first "maintenance window". I'm not sure if that applies only to the RT version, though.

Thanks,
--randy

Sent from a test application

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I've been told that windows.old will get cleaned up by itself in the first "maintenance window". I'm not sure if that applies only to the RT version, though.

Thanks,
--randy

Sent from a test application

Based upon their track record with buggy updates, I'll wash my own windows instead of leaving it up to MS. :)

ArnoldC

On my RT, this folder persist even after running Disk Cleanup. I am going to run a few updates on my RT when its fully charged and hope this folder goes away.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

On my RT, this folder persist even after running Disk Cleanup. I am going to run a few updates on my RT when its fully charged and hope this folder goes away.

Did you run System Cleanup or just Disk Cleanup? You need to run System Cleanup.