What's new

Frequent BSOD on Surface Pro 2017

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are all saying they're on "the best driver". I did have a BSOD while running the ubuntu app once, that's not to say it wasn't trying to do something on wifi at the same time but I wasn't especially running anything at that point.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, that's not necessarilly conclusive but it's great if it finds something.
I'd probably try running some benchmarks on it to see if making it work causes it to fail or not.
Passmark, 3D Mark, CrystalDiskMark, UserBenchmark. (this won't be conclusive unless maybe you find something that consistently makes it fail) you might consider it optional
The doing a clean install or Reset Remove Everything.
Lastly just get it replaced.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. I think I might have to reset it. Though so far I've been using it for a few hours since it crashed this morning. I did get some weird pop up about a dll for dropbox being incompatible or something so I'll try installing drop box first and see if that's the issue.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still happening so I've reset the device and reinstalled what I need....let's see if it still happens now.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fingers crossed ...
Sadly, today I have had two different blue screens after resetting the device. One Memory_Management blue screen while using the MS store and one Service Exception while browsing using Edge - incidentally I was also downloading the recovery image from the MS site to try that next.

Currently typing this on my old SP3 as I cannot trust the i5 now :-( I'm very sad!! I am in contact with a MS service support person via email though and he has given me some steps to try - the recovery image being the last on the list. Now I'm kinda hoping they just give me a new one!!

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok well I ended up recovering from a USB stick. I didnt' install anything else just in case and... 2 BSOD. Not sure that I can do anything more now so waiting for MS support to get back to me. Now back on my trusty SP3 for a while. Not sure if I've ever had a BSOD on this device...!