What's new

Frequent Random Pauses/Freezes

Ive seen similar freezes and interestingly, always when running modern apps, never while in desktop. Ive noticed that one particular app, Xbox music, has these mini freezes much more than anything else.. not sire if the app is buggy or if its an issue with the sd card. hope to try a different brand of sdcard soon.

OP
null4end

null4end

Reinstalling Windows 8.1 made the problem go away. I'm really not satisfied with that as a solution since I have no idea what caused it, but at least the issue is gone...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reinstalling Windows 8.1 made the problem go away. I'm really not satisfied with that as a solution since I have no idea what caused it, but at least the issue is gone...
Agreed. I sure hope the come up with some better solutions to these issues... than *Refresh*, its going to take all day to reinstall 200 updates then all your apps.

They need a whole raft of Reset *this* to defaults buttons on the Get me out of the Twilight Zone Control Panel applet.

I'm hoping I can just live with the occasional freeze up and that MS can address them in the by and by.

I load so many desktop apps for my job, each with its own custom settings, that I'd not be a happy camper to have to start back with a fresh 8.1 installation..

Glad though that your experience is getting better...

Also, in my case, some of my freeze ups are turning out to be app bugs, I think. I mentioned xbox music before.. I found that if I search for a song and then click on it (instead of browsing for the song and then clicking on it) the UI sometimes displays correctly and sometimes doesn't.. When it doesn't, it gives the appearance of a freeze-up .. that is, you can click on a song name until you are blue in the face and nothing happens. But then other times when you click on the song name it starts playing, as you would expected. So in that case, I don't think it's an o/s issue per se, though I can't be 100% for sure.

Michael

malberttoo

I know it's not what you wanted to do, but honestly when I look at my life, how much my time is worth etc... chasing down a small problem like this could go on forever. It happens. That's why re-installing is so high on my list, basically like the 3rd option maybe, now that Win8 makes it so easy to do from the menu.

Even though I have a good hour or so of putting my SP3 back together after that fact, I weigh that against how much time I've wasted chasing an issue down. If I can't find the cause of the problem in a reasonable amount of time given what's happening in my life ATM, I go for the nuclear option.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know it's not what you wanted to do, but honestly when I look at my life, how much my time is worth etc... chasing down a small problem like this could go on forever. It happens. That's why re-installing is so high on my list, basically like the 3rd option maybe, now that Win8 makes it so easy to do from the menu.

Even though I have a good hour or so of putting my SP3 back together after that fact, I weigh that against how much time I've wasted chasing an issue down. If I can't find the cause of the problem in a reasonable amount of time given what's happening in my life ATM, I go for the nuclear option.
This is good and bad, pressing the easy button means many issues may never be found or corrected. Don't we risk sliding down the slippery slope with this approach. Additionally over time the number of updates that will have to be installed will make the more problematic but fir every problem there's a solution right... just update that recovery image. Which brings me to the Citrix VDI mantra of always starting with a fresh image every day.

Isn't all or most of this problems with configuration information? case in point I had issues with multiple monitors. I tried using the DP connection instead of the USB div-d connection, when. I switched back the monitor detected signal but the display was black. no matter what I uninstalled and reinstalled it couldn't get it back. The configuration was persistent across those removals and reinstallation of drivers. I submit that if MS (or another enterprising company) created a raft of Reset *this* to defaults, we could eliminate problems without reinstalling. See the similarities to what Citrix pushes? you have several layers: hardware or hardware emulation, the OS, configuration, Applications, user settings. If we build our layer cake smartly we wouldn't even have to reinstall apps.

IMO The easy button will have its day but it will lead to a fools paradise. The technologies for a smarter way are all around. the missing link though is data analytics applied to configuration issues... which with some prompting could solve the problem. example: problem with my display... analyzing... I see a configuration anomaly would you like to go back to a prior configuration or reset to defaults.

OP
null4end

null4end

I really don't have an issue with reinstalling. I used to do it every couple months. My main concern is that I that I may have a hardware issue of some sort that I've just masked for the time being.

ynohtna

oh I could write a book about my freezing stories with my Lenovo Helix......... best one was trying to shut down... hung on shut down, didn't want to force improper shut down, took taxi to airport for my flight and it actually did shut down at the airport... like 40mins.

The recovery ability of win8 is pretty impressive. The fact that it freezes for unknown reasons is not.

drolem

Figured out that it is tied to the following:
Event 129 - storahci
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Ouch. :( I guess they didn't fix it.

If I were you I'd get an exchange if it happens again. The root cause is most likely a HW error, and it will probably keep coming back at random times.