What's new

From Android to Windows phone, Bad Idea?

JoshB

I have been interested in switching to Windows Phone from Android.

Right now I have a Galaxy Note 3, and have been eyeing the HTC One M8 Windows.

I am quite Google-centric though. Is it a total bust for me to switch? I haven't seen much at all in the world of Google applications that run on Windows Phone. I did expect there to be some downsize in applications just because Windows Phone isn't used that much, but I would have expected some Google made Apps to be available.

Sad, and confused.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If Google is the center of your mobile experience, Windows Phone is not a great choice as Google has repeatedly and publically stated they will not support the platform and tend to send cease and desist orders to anyone who creates an unofficial app to consume their services...

The only ecosystem that is truly cross platform is Microsoft. If you use Microsoft Services you can get them on any platform.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

I am quite Google-centric though. Is it a total bust for me to switch? I haven't seen much at all in the world of Google applications that run on Windows Phone. I did expect there to be some downsize in applications just because Windows Phone isn't used that much, but I would have expected some Google made Apps to be available.

Sad, and confused.
Who knows, maybe there will be a Free Windows 10 ROM for your Galaxy Note 3 and you can save a few bucks :)
and maybe browser apps will still work with those G word services. :D

CrippsCorner

Well... my girlfriend moved from Windows Phone to Android and she couldn't be happier lol, make of that what you will!

daniielrp

Sad, and confused.

I regularly use all three of the main mobile systems, and Windows Phone is still the weakest for a few reasons. First let me say though that Windows Phone 8 as a system is great, stable and capable. It looks good, and was the first to implement the minimalist system now copied by Android and iOS.

However, you've already made up your decision. If you want Google, you cannot use Windows Phone. There are no apps, no (official) access to Google Play Services like Music, and it's tricky to get calendar/contact sync too. That's probably enough to stop you switching.

Also, the app situation is still dire. There are some good unique games/apps, but nowhere near enough. I was writing a review for a Windows Phone not that long ago and did a test on this. My iPhone had 70ish apps. On Android 50 of them were available. On Windows Phone I could only find 32, and 11 of them were non-official ones (for things like dropbox, smapchat etc.).

Take from that what you will :)

OP
J

JoshB

I regularly use all three of the main mobile systems, and Windows Phone is still the weakest for a few reasons. First let me say though that Windows Phone 8 as a system is great, stable and capable. It looks good, and was the first to implement the minimalist system now copied by Android and iOS.

However, you've already made up your decision. If you want Google, you cannot use Windows Phone. There are no apps, no (official) access to Google Play Services like Music, and it's tricky to get calendar/contact sync too. That's probably enough to stop you switching.

Also, the app situation is still dire. There are some good unique games/apps, but nowhere near enough. I was writing a review for a Windows Phone not that long ago and did a test on this. My iPhone had 70ish apps. On Android 50 of them were available. On Windows Phone I could only find 32, and 11 of them were non-official ones (for things like dropbox, smapchat etc.).

Take from that what you will :)
Yeah I love the look of Windows Phone and would love to migrate more off Google, mainly for the sync between all my windows devices(Computer Work computer, and SP3). I have high hopes for Windows 10 and wanted to get in now before it releases, but I think I will just wait for the next Windows phone flagship to release. Another thing is just the number of apps available. I don't use many, but there are some I use heavily (that I don't really need that are just nice to have) and it has been one big thing that makes me hesitate.

malberttoo

I also have wanted to get a good Windows phone, but the app situation has held me back. As @daniielrp stated above, the OS looks awesome and really appeals to me. But then I consider what I actually do in a day- heavy Exchange email and calendar and contacts (which would work fine on a Windows phone), then the Gmail app, Dropbox, Bank of America, my local credit union app, and about 15 others that would be annoying enough to live without that I really couldn't justify the jump.

I do think though that as long as Microsoft continues aggressive support of the platform, the app situation will change. They are just playing a difficult game now of catch-up, but ultimately I think the situation will improve substantially.

Arizona Willie

Yeah, but I'll probably be dead within 20 more years and it would be nice to have it a wee bit sooner --- although not likely.

I also have wanted to get a good Windows phone, but the app situation has held me back. As @daniielrp stated above, the OS looks awesome and really appeals to me. But then I consider what I actually do in a day- heavy Exchange email and calendar and contacts (which would work fine on a Windows phone), then the Gmail app, Dropbox, Bank of America, my local credit union app, and about 15 others that would be annoying enough to live without that I really couldn't justify the jump.

I do think though that as long as Microsoft continues aggressive support of the platform, the app situation will change. They are just playing a difficult game now of catch-up, but ultimately I think the situation will improve substantially.

malberttoo

Yeah, but I'll probably be dead within 20 more years and it would be nice to have it a wee bit sooner --- although not likely.

Nah. If they can't do it in 2-5, it will pointless probably. The platform really will be sunk for all intents and purposes.

They just need to start with the first couple hundred most-used and types of apps. I wouldn't even say anything bad about them if they paid developers at this point to make the apps. If they can just get themselves some momentum going, I think it will continue and work out well.

My .02 anyway.

VickiFL

We test drove a Chevy Camaro today, and having the On Star app was crucial to me. I checked, and it is available at the Windows store! I'm so glad. I almost thought I might have to switch back to an Android phone just to use that app.

Please get more apps Windows Store! :)