What's new

Fulcrum hinge and pressure point concerns

tinycg

For those lucky enough to have pre-ordered the SB, I have one still open question that concerns me that I wonder if someone could answer:

As a commuter and a person on the go with a well packed Timbuk2 bag, I worry that the fulcrum hinge will have to endure some pressure in my bag. With a laptop that closes flat, or my SP3, as long as the screens are protected I'm not really concerned because pressure is transferred evenly through the device. Ala as long as the screen can take the weight, no biggie...

I'm worried that with the hinge, that it will have a 'breaking point' quite literally. I would plan to get Microsoft's warranty coverage which has been excellent for me in the past, but still a lingering concern of how well once people receive it, it can hold up in a laptop bag with a lot of weight shifts and things in some cases 'sitting on top of it' sorta speak.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read a review yesterday where the reviewer lowered his whole body weight onto the Surface Book with no apparent damage. ( I think it was tented at the time or maybe closed or both IDR). He did not recommend you try this at home. :)

Telstar1948

I don't remember where I saw it, but a guy in a video stepped on a Book (it was closed and on the floor) with his shoes on, stood there a few seconds and then stepped off: no damage to the Book.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd want to know how such pressure would effect the thing over time, not just in a single instance. Saying that, while MS have certainly had instances of issues with the "new" kickstand on the SP3, overall it appears to have offered solid performance despite many people having a feeling of trepidation at the start regarding it's durability. Seems to have proven the worries wrong. MS certainly put a lot of work and foresight into their R&D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given the number of moving parts there are sure to be some failures. Id like to see this being assembled, in an episode of How it's made. :) Robots vs humans.

OP
T

tinycg

I don't remember where I saw it, but a guy in a video stepped on a Book (it was closed and on the floor) with his shoes on, stood there a few seconds and then stepped off: no damage to the Book.

Dear god, ok I guess that reduces my fear. haha

I'd want to know how such pressure would effect the thing over time, not just in a single instance. Saying that, while MS have certainly had instances of issues with the "new" kickstand on the SP3, overall it appears to have offered solid performance despite many people having a feeling of trepidation at the start regarding it's durability. Seems to have proven the worries wrong. MS certainly put a lot of work and foresight into their R&D

Agreed, durability overall has really impressed me with the SP3, MS has earned a lot of trust from me over the years refining the Surface, I have no doubt it was considered, I only started wondering just because its so different as a hinge concept I have nothing else to compare it to, to understand how it may perform.

Even though my backpack has padding, I am also slightly concerned about pressure / stress failure due to uneven exposure to a loaded bag falling and impacting the SB.

On topic but......

What about the wobble while on a plane or train? It appears some of the reviewers showed concern when trying to write on the screen while connected to the keyboard. Any thoughts on potential discomfort when trying to work in laptop mode on a plane with turbulence or a train? I am hoping to play with one tomorrow at a local MS store.

mtalinm

Paul Thurrott said it slid around on a tray riding Antrak. (apparently thr rubber feet are too small?) both he and mary jo foley say that + its top-heavy screen design makes it slide off their laps...

...which sucks, because fixing "LAPABILITY" was the whole point of this I thought!

unruledboy

I am MUCH MORE concerned about the dirt and breadcrumb getting into the keyboard and ruin the screen....

Was able to play with the SB this morning at the Paramus NJ MS Store. The device is beautiful and slimmer than I thought. However, even the store rep could not believe how much wobble there was. I really hope someone makes a nice sleeve for the top of the device with a kickstand to prevent some of the wobble especially when riding on a train or plane (where I do a lot of my work).

The tablet mode when reversed on the keyboard is awesome by the way. Easy to hold and the screen rotation is very fluid and fast. I hope I can use it in that mode (on screen keyboard) when the wobble is too extreme.

netuser

He was not actually standing on it with all his body weight. He was sitting in a chair and lifted both legs and placed them down on the Surface Book. Most of his weight was still on the chair.
The video was poorly shot, with the chair out of the frame. I think this is misleading.
It is only obvious that he was sitting in a chair when you closely watch the video and notice that both feet leave the floor at the same time before he "steps" on it..

Last edited: