What's new

Funny Observation about Windows 10

dniezby

I can't be the only one that finds some of the comments about Windows 10 funny. I've been watching a lot of videos and keeping an eye out on the forums and I hear some of the dumbest complaints ever.

The number one complaint I'm seeing is that icons haven't been updated.

Seriously? Icons? That's what people are complaining about? We're about to loose or gain a seriously powerful OS based on people that are concerned with ICONS?

IMO, I'd just prefer it that now, when MS if finally making premium-looking externals, that they put some effort into making the internals, from a superficial standpoint, pretty as well. Just look at the upcoming Yosemite update for OSX, all new color schemes and icons - yet MS can't be bothered.

But who knows, maybe they'll prove me wrong - I mean, there is a new icon for windows explorer in Win10...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't be the only one that finds some of the comments about Windows 10 funny. I've been watching a lot of videos and keeping an eye out on the forums and I hear some of the dumbest complaints ever.

The number one complaint I'm seeing is that icons haven't been updated.

Seriously? Icons? That's what people are complaining about? We're about to loose or gain a seriously powerful OS based on people that are concerned with ICONS?
But if they changed Icons people would complain about that.

Just get old like my dad, then you wont remember from day to day what it looks like and each day its completely new :D.

Seriously though complaining about cosmetics is really shallow. :)

unruledboy

it is TECHNICAL PREVIEW, come on.... focus on functionality, rather than icon / images / color

I LOVE Windows 10, I am using it on a daily basis.

daniielrp

Well considering icons are responsible for most of your interaction with the OS (i.e - you have to press an icon to start, well, anything) I'd say there an important consideration. A good, smart looking OS will be a deciding factor for most people.

But I think the bigger issue it brings up is the case of Microsoft just hanging on to old, legacy code for so long. The fact that I can still see these in Windows 10 disturbs me:
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

What possible use are they? Pretty sure that 1st set is from 10-15 years ago?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well considering icons are responsible for most of your interaction with the OS (i.e - you have to press an icon to start, well, anything) I'd say there an important consideration. A good, smart looking OS will be a deciding factor for most people.

But I think the bigger issue it brings up is the case of Microsoft just hanging on to old, legacy code for so long. The fact that I can still see these in Windows 10 disturbs me:
View attachment 3924 View attachment 3925

What possible use are they? Pretty sure that 1st set is from 10-15 years ago?
But but... I'm still using Paradox 3.0 and Turbo Pascal. They're Great! :D

Sadly I don't think anyone knows what they can get rid of so... its just brought along for the ride. Just like some of the directories in UNIX, Linux, and Macs that have been there forever. afraid to dump them because who knows what it will break. you can tell from the updates that come out... applies to every version supported. Rewrite? No such thing...

mitchellvii

Even as a technical preview, W10 is blowing me away. 100% daily driver for me now. Some little bits here and there but nothing significant.

Kif

I don't have a problem most of these comments. The more feedback the better. I think the preview was more released to save face by Microsoft then for actually technical reasons.

wynand32

IMO, I'd just prefer it that now, when MS if finally making premium-looking externals, that they put some effort into making the internals, from a superficial standpoint, pretty as well. Just look at the upcoming Yosemite update for OSX, all new color schemes and icons - yet MS can't be bothered.

But who knows, maybe they'll prove me wrong - I mean, there is a new icon for windows explorer in Win10...

Well, Yosemite is to a large extent all about changes to the UI to make it flatter. So, icon and color scheme changes are a large part of what it's all about. Personally, I abhor Yosemite's look (and have disliked OS X since, well, just about forever), but that's another discussion... Also, I didn't pay that much attention during the previous beta releases, but I'm pretty sure it's gone through some UI changes as well.

Finally, when you say "upcoming Yosemite update," you should note as well that OS X is where Windows 10 will be in some months--at the end of its release cycle, including (so far) three full beta releases. Let's see what Windows 10 looks like a few weeks before its release.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
For those not familiar with OS X, a "Launchpad" feature (tiny rocketship at bottom) tries to present icons with moveable pages, similar to how Microsoft designed the Start Screen. The "Launchpad" is pretty, but for years, now, I have preferred some kind of drop list, like "aLaunch", a free utility shown below.

I that's probably why I am feeling like Windows 10 is on a track to do great things for Microsoft.
But it still feels funny to explain to people, "To shut down, click Start,..."

Launchpad
Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 9.31.35 PM.png

aLaunch
Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 9.33.39 PM.png