What's new

further info on the no-wake problem

fonsecaj

Hi.

First of all, I think the SP is an amazing device. It's like the dream of my old Compaq TC-1000 (which I still have) made real.

That said, this thing only waking from sleep about half the time is starting to get on my nerves.

The wlan adapter setting on crashctrl.com was never changed and I've tried unchecking it, restarting, rechecking, reinstalling the wlan driver, and no difference. Disabling hibernation also has had no effect. It doesn't matter if the thing's been asleep for 2 hours or 2 minutes. There seems to be an equal chance at not waking. I guess it's possible this unit is busted, but I had a 64 gig one before this and it also had waking problems.

While it's in this state the Windows soft button vibrates and I can always get it to reboot after playing with the power button.
I've seen this problem mentioned a lot, but aside from the WLAN sleep setting and pushing the power button like mad, I've seen no other solution.

If I was only going to use this as a laptop I'd be happy to shut it down and start it up every time I was done with it. However, doing so would negate its use as an iPad replacement.

Does anyone else know of any other measures that might be taken, or is this something that we just have to wait for MS to fix on their own?

Thanks,
John

Nuspieds

At night, I flip mine down onto the Type Cover and it goes to sleep.

In the morning, I flip it up, press the Shift key and it has always woken up without any issues. However, I'm not sure whether what you're experiencing is a Windows problem or a Surface problem. That is, with my ThinkPad W700 laptop, after it would awake from Sleep mode, the screen would just remain black. This would happen pretty frequently.

ArnoldC

<snip>However, I'm not sure whether what you're experiencing is a Windows problem or a Surface problem. That is, with my ThinkPad W700 laptop, after it would awake from Sleep mode, the screen would just remain black. This would happen pretty frequently.

Could be difficult which to fault, as such manifestation never occurred with my Acer S3.

OP
F

fonsecaj

Sorry for the confusion. I was asking specifically about the Microsoft Surface Pro, not the RT or various laptops. Did I post to the wrong forum? Thanks for the replies, in any event.

Nuspieds

Sorry for the confusion. I was asking specifically about the Microsoft Surface Pro, not the RT or various laptops. Did I post to the wrong forum? Thanks for the replies, in any event.
No you didn't.

I have the Surface Pro and my comments regarding no issues with the wake-from-sleep were about my Surface Pro. In addition, I referred to problems similar to which you described, but not on my Surface Pro, but on a laptop. Therefore, it is possible that the problem may be Windows 8-related, as opposed to Surface Pro-related.

malberttoo

I'm guessing it's a Windows 8 issue. My WLAN card on my Surface Pro (still waiting for the replacement from Microsoft) was faulty and intermittently (ther WLAN card, not the computer) wouldn't power up from sleep or even a cold boot. The first Microsoft support tech I talked to had me go to the WLAN card properties and disable the machine's ability to control the power of the device. Once I did that, 100% of the time I could not get the machine to wake up from sleep. I would have to hold the power button down for 6-8 seconds to kill the power, then reboot.

I believe there is a baked in issue with Win 8 specifically in this case, or at least with the Surface Pro and the Marvell WLAN card together.

-Michael

ArnoldC

<snip>I believe there is a baked in issue with Win 8 specifically in this case, or at least with the Surface Pro and the Marvell WLAN card together.

-Michael

I'd suspect the latter, as Windows 8 devices on my company does not suffer from that issue.

OP
F

fonsecaj

The new wlan driver released today seems to have helped greatly with this problem. Since doing the update the device hasn't failed to wake from sleep once.

Of course I just severely jinxed it.